it in your browser.
[]

  Follow OCA:
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ihnJRGRyWDdXffdZkWFP2xVwbExCniHn>Twitter

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GtJC7DXeQxTE8%2BzNkxw2MBVwbExCniHn>Facebook

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=doQbrYXVmBVTlpgWet6zchVwbExCniHn>Pinterest

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=1Wnbblu5Tpk8uyVrPgnSyxVwbExCniHn>OCA

Homepage

A Heartbreaking Defeat. An Urgent Opportunity.

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=I8Y%2BMnKjsdSMG85RUAaPoBVwbExCniHn>
[]

Dear Organic Consumer,

On the evening of November 7, 2012, I sat
somberly in a press conference in San Francisco,
surrounded by people I’d been working
side-by-side with for nearly a year. We’d just
narrowly lost (48.5% to 51.5%) a hard-fought,
grassroots campaign to our well-funded,
relentless, unscrupulous enemy: Monsanto.

I was disheartened. Deflated. Angry. And I was
thinking about you. About how tens of thousands
of organic consumers like yourself, from every
state in the country, had responded to our battle
cry. How you’d dug deep into your pockets, over
and over, raising more than $1.5 million for OCA
and the Organic Consumers Fund to help pass
Proposition 37, California’s Right to Know GMO citizens’ ballot initiative.

We’d let you down. I took it personally.

Now, almost five months later, the sting of
defeat has given way to a surge of new hope. The
truth is, we may not have passed this one GMO
labeling law, but we sparked a national debate
that has grown louder with each passing day. Your
passion, your energy, and, as it turns out, your
donations, large and small, every single one of them, mattered.

What happened last year is a lesson in the power
of grassroots movement-building and marketplace
pressure. Because you rallied around Prop 37, you
inspired groups in more than 30 other states to
work together toward statewide GMO labeling laws.
Because you joined us in boycotting the food
companies who sided with the biotech industry and
poured millions into defeating Prop 37, those
companies have split with Monsanto and told the
FDA it’s time for a federal GMO labeling law.
Because you chimed in when we told Whole Foods
that we thought the largest organic retailer
should do more for consumers on the GMO labeling
issue, Whole Foods recently announced a new voluntary GMO labeling policy.

Because you didn’t give up, we won’t either.

It’s time to pick up where we left off last year.
And we need your help. In November, voters in
Washington State will decide on I-522, a
citizens’ ballot initiative to label GMOs. The
OCA has pledged $500,000 to the I-522 campaign.
If we raise half of that - $250,000 – by April 1,
a generous donor will match those funds so we can
fulfill our pledge. Can you help us reach our
goal by April 1 with a donation today?
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kiWSWDABbzKZby5OdVbJFxVwbExCniHn>You

can donate online with a credit card or Paypal.
Or you can mail a check. Or phone in your donation.

Why would I put myself – and you – through
another grueling campaign for a GMO labeling law?
Because when you’re right, you don’t give up.
After all, how many years did it take to win the
vote for women? To pass the civil rights law? To
get warning labels on cigarettes?

But it’s not just a matter of not giving up. It’s
also a matter of protecting your investment. The
money you contributed to Prop 37 created huge
forward momentum for the GMO labeling movement.
It had an impact that still reverberates today.
If we stop fighting now, we throw away our investment.

We’ve accomplished a lot since last November. But
we still need state labeling laws. And Washington
State - where farmers are determined to protect
their non-GMO export crops, and consumers and
fishermen are adamantly opposed to the FDA’s
imminent approval of GE salmon - is a fertile battleground.

I-522 is our next best opportunity to pass a
state GMO labeling law. Just as with California,
a GMO labeling law in Washington State will force
food companies to label nationally. And while a
federal labeling law would likely be written by
lobbyists to favor Big Food and Big Biotech,
I-522 was written with consumers’ best interests as top priority.

Momentum is on our side, as are Washington State
consumers, legislators, farmers and fishermen. We
can’t let this opportunity pass us by. We must not give up this fight.

Between today and April 1, your donation will be
worth twice as much, as long as we reach our goal
of $250,000 and earn a matching gift. Every cent
we raise will go directly to support the I-522
campaign.
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=gS3TnPtlpABDcY3Khd2tERVwbExCniHn>Please

help us keep this fight alive with your donation today.

Thank you for being such a huge part of this
critical battle for the right to know what’s in our food.

In solidarity,

[]
[]

Ronnie Cummins
National Director, Organic Consumers Association and Organic Consumers Fund

P.S. Prop 37 would never have had the impact it
had, without your support. Our $1.5 million
donation to the campaign came from individual
donations, from people like you. If you still
believe in this fight,
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2FfTbIz50pvEt4t%2BimwzdFRVwbExCniHn>please

donate today. Help us show Monsanto that we
intend to win the GMO labeling battle!

Paid for by the Organic Consumers Fund Committee
to Label GMOs in Washington State.

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=nBLHEvmz9BLmwzfoDZB23RVwbExCniHn>follow

on Twitter |
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=2pxxIqXlE7q73dgei27Oftyix9rwhnhN>friend

on Facebook |
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=e92dRCbYbDHTh8iUUW58GRVwbExCniHn>OCA

on Pinterest
Please forward this publication to family and friends, place it on web sites,
print it, duplicate it and post it freely. Knowledge is power!

6771 South Silver Hill Drive - Finland, MN 55603
- Phone: 218-226-4164 - Fax: 218-353-7652

You are subscribed as:
John Johnson
cha...@pacbell.net
North Hollywood, CA 91609