We Can't Afford The Same Mistake Again - Reflections on the Tenth
Anniversary of the Iraq Invasion              Excellent Article in The
Nation Magazine ~ Written by Jodie Evans, Co-Founder of CODEPINK: WOMEN For
PEACE: www.codepink.org
Over ten years ago, we founded CODEPINK in response to the fear-mongering
color-coded terrorist alerts that helped scare Congress into an invasion and
occupation of an innocent country, Iraq. What I thought I was fighting to
stop was so much less shocking than what actually happened. After Bush said
it was time for Shock and Awe, the maid in our hotel in Baghdad buried her
head in my chest, looked up to the sky and asked, "How do I protect my
children?" Even then, with my heart breaking, I couldn't have imagined what
lay ahead.
Could we have imagined more than 5 million Iraqi displaced and possibly a
million dead? Could we Americans have imagined the erasure of civil
liberties, the deaths of so many young soldiers and over 100,000 horrific
casualties? Or the excruciating effects of PTSD or the devastation of rapes
in the military and the Military Sexual Trauma suffered by so many women?
Could we have imagined that more American soldiers would commit suicide than
die in the line of duty? I had argued to members of the Senate and Congress
in 2002 that the numbers Rumsfeld was arguing, both in terms of how few
months and how little money the war would require, were lies. But could I
have imagined the occupation would reach the proportions it has both in time
and money? No.
Could I have imagined that we would continue to find new ways to incite
anger and violence against the United States with such insane creations as
drones? And that no one who lied and manipulated us into war would be held
responsible? Or those like Bradley Manning who exposed the torture and abuse
would be in jail while those who violated laws and lives would remain free,
and arrogantly so?
No, I couldn't have imagined all that or the trillions of dollars thrown
into the incinerator of war instead of spent on schools, healthcare and the
needs of our communities.
But what is beyond understanding is that after all that we have suffered the
last ten years, we are on the brink of doing it all over again. Senators
Jeff Sessions (R-AL) and Chuck Schumer (D-NY) are busy trying to scare the
American people with stories of weapons of mass destruction in Iran, stories
just like the ones that led us into Iraq, even though there is no proof that
Iran is enriching uranium to weapons-grade, and top military officials
believe war with Iran would make Iraq look like a cakewalk. Now the Senate
is moving forward with a resolution that provides a backdoor to war with
Iran, S.Res.65, which calls for the United States to offer military support
for pre-emptive Israeli strikes on Iran. This resolution would allow us to
slip into war without any public debate.
Have we not felt the price? Is no one paying attention? When do we say stop?
Call your senator and say, No more! We can't afford to make the same mistake
again.