Send Your Regards to Tomas Young

If it feels right for you, sign this on-line petition to support Tomas
Young, an Iraq veteran who has decided his life of pain and misery from
wounds received in Iraq are too overwhelming for him to want to go on. He
has written an eloquent letter to George W. Bush and Dick Cheney and plans
to get his life in order, then, in his words, allow himself to slowly "go
away." I met Tomas in his wheelchair at an  anti-war demonstration In
Washington DC some years ago and was impressed with his strength of
character. This petition is a pledge, a thank you and a farewell to Tomas,
who is 33-years-old.

This is from Tomas' Letter to Bush & Cheney:

"I write not because I think you grasp the terrible human and moral
consequences of your lies, manipulation and thirst for wealth and power. I
write this letter because, before my own death, I want to make it clear that
I, and hundreds of thousands of my fellow veterans, along with millions of
my fellow citizens, along with hundreds of millions more in Iraq and the
Middle East, know fully who you are and what you have done. You may evade
justice but in our eyes you are each guilty of egregious war crimes, of
plunder and, finally, of murder, including the murder of thousands of young
Americans - my fellow veterans - whose future you stole."

John Grant, Veterans For Peace, Philadelphia

Sign the Petition at:
http://signon.org/sign/tomas-young-iraq-war.fb26?source=s.fb
<http://signon.org/sign/tomas-young-iraq-war.fb26?source=s.fb&r_by=7422778>
&r_by=7422778

BACKGROUND:

In February, prominent Iraq War vet/anti-war activist and subject of Phil
Donahue's documentary, BODY Of WAR: www.bodyofwar.com . Tomas Young
announced he is ending his nine-year losing battle against unbearable,
intractable chronic pain due to injuries he sustained just five days after
his deployment to Iraq that left him paralyzed from the chest down. Now
dependent on a feeding tube, Thomas announced that after celebrating his one
year anniversary with his wife, he will begin to wean his body off the
liquid nourishment and medications sustaining him and slowly "go away."

Here is a Link to a Recent 3/21 Interview with Tomas on Democracy Now:

 www.democracynow.org/2013/3/21/exclusive_dying_iraq_war_veteran_tomas

Here is a link to the full letter Tomas wrote to former President George W.
Bush and former Vice President Dick Cheney on the 10th Anniversary of the
Iraq War:

www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/tomas-young-dying-iraq-war-veteran-writes
-last-letter-to-bush-and-cheney-20130320

OUR PLEDGE:

Dear Tomas,

As citizens of the United States and in honor of your memory, we pledge to
work steadfastly to make sure we have a healthcare system that does not
allow people in pain to suffer as you have been forced to suffer, and to
make certain we elect public servants who do not squander American lives as
the Bush administration and the congress serving at that time squandered
yours.

We see you. We hear you. We will not remain passive. We will not be silent.

Farewell, Tomas, and thank you.