http://weeksnotice.blogspot.com/2013/04/recount-vs-audit-in-venezuela.html

THURSDAY, APRIL 18, 2013
Recount vs. audit in
Venezuela<http://weeksnotice.blogspot.com/2013/04/recount-vs-audit-in-venezuela.html>

Here<http://abcnews.go.com/International/t/story/opposition-claims-irregularities-venezuela-vote-18980234>
is
the list of problems that Henrique Capriles has presented to the CNE.
What's interesting is that almost none of them require a ballot by ballot
recount, which he has been told is impossible. A recount suggests that the
counting was done incorrectly, which he's not exactly saying.

In some cases his concerns would entail an audit, such as checking to see
whether dead people voted. In others it is an investigation into whether
the constitution was violated, such as the charges of intimidation and
harrassment.

Of course, what Capriles hopes is for the final count to change, but I
don't think that is the same as a recount as generally understood. Either
way, though, it's not clear to me how intimidation could be measured at the
vote level. He may not care, as his goal is to cast sufficient suspicion
over the process itself to undermine Nicolás Maduro's legitimacy.

Maduro has said<https://twitter.com/panamericanpost/status/324829262215516161>
he'll
accept what the CNE decides, which is at least a shift from saying Capriles
is a fascist golpista with unreasonable demands. There is not a tremendous
amount of horizontal accountability in Venezuela, so he'll be sending
plenty of signals about his preferences. If they reject a full recount
again but accept something smaller, that may well take some of the air out
of the opposition's sails.

1 COMMENTS:
Cort Greene <http://www.blogger.com/profile/16025289467721109308>,
9:29 AM
<http://weeksnotice.blogspot.com/2013/04/recount-vs-audit-in-venezuela.html#comment-1587636954731564870>

<http://www.blogger.com/delete-comment.g?blogID=21674624&postID=1587636954731564870>

Per the first popular passed Constitution of 1999 which almost 72% of the
electorate approved, hand checking of all the ballots was replaced with
current method.

54% of the ballot boxes have already been chosen randomly,they were opened
& checked against electronic voting and no discrepancies were found.

Former president Jimmy Carter and the Carter Center, who I don’t always
agree with on a political level and I have criticized before for their role
in Venezuela,has called the Venezuelan electoral system the most
transparent in the world and on this point I would certainly agree unlike
the US where we have 5000 electoral commissions, each run by their local
fiefdom and fraud is rampant,just ask people in Florida and Miami big time
or places in Wisconsin to name a few.

There were international observers and delegations from Europe, UNASUR, OAS
and other countries and none have said there was fraud and the all
countries have recognized the results (except the US) that’s including the
right wing governments of Spain, Mexico,Colombia and Chile.

For those who don’t know,everyone who votes is finger printed and it is
scanned into a computer to make sure they are that voter, votes are
tabulated by computer and there is also a paper back up and then then dip
their finger in an ink to show they did vote and if they washed it off
which is hard, the computer would already know they have voted.

In all polling stations there were witnesses from Capriles, Maduro and the
five other candidates for president campaigns.