The World Can't Wait
Stop the Crimes of Your Government Donate | Local Chapters | Store| Previous
Newsletters

Visible protest to shut down Guantanamo
San Francisco Thursday April 18: City Hall at 4-5pm

London April 18: 6-8pm at US Embassy

Chicago Friday April 19: State and Jackson at 4:30 pm
Every time we get out in the public we meet many people who didn't even know
Guantanamo was still open!

Download/print flier to share with others.
Romi,

Does visible resistance against Guantanamo still matter?

Jill McLaughlin, member of the World Can't Wait Steering Committe says yes,
emphatically:

Statement of Musa’ab al-Madhwani in support of emergency motion for
humanitarian and life-saving relief
At this writing the Guantanamo hunger strike has surpassed 70 days. The
situation there is ever more urgent after the Saturday April 13th assault on
the hunger strikers. The London Guantanamo Campaignput it like this, “Either by
U.S. military force or organ failure through lack of food, this hunger strike
is likely to become fatal.” We must remember that we live under a government
that has used 9/11 as a justification to illegitimately invade and occupy
countries — killing over a million people — to carry out deadly drone attacks
consistently in four countries, to round up and indefinitely detain and torture
hundreds without charge or trial.

Our government does not have the interest of humanity at heart... its only
interest is the advancement of U.S. empire and we must send a clear message to
others that American lives are not more important than others and that right
now lives are on the line at Guantanamo. Each day in Afghanistan, Pakistan,
Yemen, and Somalia children cower in fear of the next U.S. drone attacks. No
one in our government hears the men at Guantanamo. No one in our government
hears these frightened children.

The prisoners' strike has put the illegitimacy of indefinite detention at GTMO
in front of the world. The actions of World Can't Wait and a few other groups
in this country are amplifying their voices. We must pump up the volume.

On Monday morning, the World Can't Wait Steering Committee released this
message:
World Can't Wait strongly condemns the violence perpetrated on the  detainees
by Guantanamo military personnel on the morning of April 13th.  Guards
attempted to extract the detainees from the communal cells and  place them in
solitary amid what the military says were concerns that  more detainees were
joining the hunger strike in secret by obstructing  cameras and blocking the
view into the cells with blankets to avoid  being force-fed.

The military claims that they fired four less than lethal rounds on  the
detainees when the detainees attempted to fight back during the  extraction.
According to a statement released by the White House, the  Obama administration
was informed in advance about plans for the raid.  It is doubtful that this
raid could have been carried out without the  consent and backing of the
commander in chief, Barack Obama.

We want to make it explicitly clear that the hunger strike, a form of  protest,
that the detainees have been engaged in is morally justifiable  in light of
their continued detention and the torture they have  endured. They have been
force-fed with tubes shoved up their noses and  into their stomachs and at
times deprived of potable drinking water.  They have been denied contact with
their loved ones and some have been  in Guantanamo for over a decade.  166
detainees remain imprisoned, 157  haven't been charged and 86 have been cleared
for release.

It is the actions of Obama and his administration, the actions of the  military
personnel, and the inaction of a passive and silent public  that need to be
called into question and roundly condemned. There is  only one way to ensure
the safety and health of the prisoners that the  military claims it is
concerned about, and that is to release the 157  prisoners held without charge
and provide a fair trial for the rest. We  stand with the hunger strikers and
remain committed to resisting and  opposing the crime that is Guantanamo
through consistent visible protest  and exposure of the crimes of our
government.

Will the hunger strikers leave Guantanamo in coffins? The situation  is urgent
and the lives of the remaining Guantanamo prisoners depend on  you.
You can add your name to this statement here. While the force-feedings may mean
that this hunger strike will continue longer than the point at which people
usually start to die (it was actually few days ago), the government has made it
clear they will not take any reasonable action to end this protest. What should
we, as people of conscience, DO, as the specter of mass death at this miserable
detention camp looms?

Join us in the streets. Write me with your ideas. Organize your own protest,
and we will help you publicize it. Connect with other activists and share ideas
via Facebook. Tweet about it, using #GitmoFreedomStrike and
#SaveGitmoPrisoners. Write to a prisoner (how to send a letter to a Guantanamo
detainee).
________________________________

April Days of Action Against Drone Warfare and Surveillance

Inspiring reports and photos have been posted on local No Drones groups'
websites across the country, as the month of actions against drone warfare
picks up. Find or organize a protest near you.

If you have an upcoming action, bring the issue of the Guantanamo detainees
into the protest, as part of opposing the crimes of this government.
April Days of Action Against Drones are in full swing in San Diego
The weekly protest at General Atomics headquarters on March 23 foreshadowed the
multi-day anti-drones protest on April 4-6. (See coverage in The San Diego Free
Press.)

The protests in San Diego are provoking questions about the U.S. drone  program
and U.S. dependence on arms production for jobs in the media.   "With the U.S.
drone industry contributing billions to their city,  residents of San Diego
must reconcile their politics with the need to  keep their economy humming."
(The Daily Beast: San Diego, Hub of the U.S. Drone Industry.)

Read more at nodronescalifornia.blogspot.com.

Protests at the CIA headquarters and the White House
The April Days of Action Against Drones continued  this weekend with
demonstrations targeting the agencies and  policy-makers most directly
responsible for drone assassinations: the  CIA and the executive branch.

Read more at nodronesvirginia.blogspot.com.
April Days of Action Against Drones in Sacramento
Over 50  activists from Chico to Grass Valley to Bay Area and Sacramento showed
 up on Tax Day at the Sacramento Federal Courthouse to demonstrate as  part of
the April Days of Action Against Drones. Banners and signs galore colored the
street around the courthouse, in the shadow of downtown Sacramento's high-rises.

Read more at nodronescalifornia.blogspot.com.
No Drones Texas No Drones New England
________________________________

April 25: National Campus Day - FOR ABORTION!!
April 25: National Day of Action
Wear Stickers!
Speak Out!
Raise Awareness!
Order stickers and find out more...
We received the following message from StopPatriarchy.org:

DID YOU KNOW...
        * 2011 and 2012 saw a RECORD number of restrictions on abortion across
the country, and already this year there are 278 bills introduced to further
restrict abortion?

        * 97% of rural counties have no abortion provider?

        * several states have only ONE abortion clinic, and starting August 1
in North Dakota (to give just one example), abortion will be illegal at around
6 weeks? That's before most women know they are pregnant!

        * over 80% of clinics that provide abortions have experienced
violence, threats, harassment? And that 8 abortion providers and staff have
been KILLED by anti-abortion violence?It is WRONG to force women to have
children against their will.

Forced motherhood is female enslavement.

Women are NOT breeders.

Women are HUMAN BEINGS, capable of full equality in every realm.

Continue reading and get involved...

Debra  Sweet, Director, The World Can't Wait
Click to tweet or share on Facebook:
World Can't Wait - i...@worldcantwait.org - 866.973.4463 - 305 West Broadway
#185, NY, NY 10013
Send checks or money orders, payable to "World Can't Wait":
World Can't Wait
305 W. Broadway #185
New York, NY 10013

For sponsorship level donations, or if you wish to make stock donations please
contact Samantha Goldman saman...@worldcantwait.org, 866-973-4463.

To make a tax-deductible donation of $100 or more in support of WCW's
educational activities, please make checks out to "World Can't Wait/Alliance
for Global Justice," a 501(3)(c) organization.