Sociology of Conspiracies: Elite Power-Planning and Influence in a
Globalized World

Program: Academic Credit: Summer 2013, Sonoma State University

SOCI 497: Sociology of Conspiracies is an academic upper division
class on the history  and cultural understandings of conspiracies by
elites and the powerful in society.
We will ask the question do elites and the powerful make plans and
take actions that may harm others or democracy. We will study the
theories State Crime Crimes Against Democracy (SCAD) and Power Elite
Theory. We will explore how people in the US have long held conspiracy
theories going back to the Revolutionary War. We will take a look at
contemporary efforts by elites to use media to discredit research
regarding the orgins of 20th wars, political assassinations, 9/11, and
US election fraud. We will focus on solid academic research for
discussion and challenge those who explainations for events goes
beyond available evidence.

Textbooks:

Conspiracy Theory, Lance deHavenSmith, University of Texas Press, 2013

9/11 and American Empire, Intellectuals Speak Out, David Ray Griffin
and Peter Dale Scott, Olive Branch Press, 2007

And a Course Reader

The Course will include Guest lectures, Films and Discussion on this
very important topic for Democracy.

Instructor: Peter Phillips

Credit: 4 units
Fee: $1280

Peter Phillips Ph.D is a Professor in the Sociology Department at SSU.
Phillips has written and lectured extensively on the Power Elite,
Transnational Corporate Class, and Conspiracies. He is the author and
editor of seventeen books on  Censorship and the Interlocks of Elites
in the world.

12 mtgs: M-Th, Jul 15-Aug 1, 1:00 PM -5:50 PM

Salazar Hall 2019

SOCI 497; #1127; 4 units; $1280

http://www.ssuexed.com/course.php?id=2544&sem=2&year=2013

Summer Housing Available During the Class

http://www.sonoma.edu/summerhousing/