A Free press, for those with the money to buy it.

Think about it this way, you nor I can run a  free press, they are
dependent on income to pay the staff.

The first amendment stops the government from interfering with anyone WHO
OWNS A MEDIAS OUTLET WHO SAYS SOMETHING THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE,
hence, the Media can destroy perfectly good people using lies and
innuendo... without retaliation from the  Government, or the wrath of
those who think the Press is there to protect them, (instead of forwarding
the agenda  of those who cover payroll), will help the moneyed, who OWN
THE PRESS, remove those in government who might have been on our side.

While this same supposed free press, owned and operated by those wanting
more and more profits under the guise of being our unpaid protectors, not
only do NOT expose those who rob us and our government, but forward the
agenda of everything we are agasint, while carrying the banner of being,
'the free press'.

The first amendment is there to protect the owners of the media outlets,
not the common people, as we the people cannot own a free press, only
those who have licenses to operate at the levels of national
persuasiveness we see today, can own the press.

Scott

"In the First Amendment, the Founding Fathers gave the free press the
protection it must have to fulfill its essential role in our democracy.
The press was to serve the governed, not the governors. The Government's
power to censor the press was abolished so that the press would remain
forever free to censure the Government. The press was protected so that it
could bare the secrets of government and inform the people. Only a free
and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government. And
paramount among the responsibilities of a free press is the duty to
prevent any part of the government from deceiving the people and sending
them off to distant lands to die of foreign fevers and foreign shot and
shell." Justice Black. NYT v. US. 403 US 713

"Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far
better that you fear the media, for they will steal your Honor. That awful
power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of
ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking
and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse": Mark Twain.