Tell President Obama: Shut down Guantánamo
Dear Romi,
I started my own campaign on CREDO's new site that allows activists to start
their own petitions.
My petition, which is to President Obama, asks the following:
President Obama, fulfill the promise you made four years ago to close the
prison at Guantánamo and end indefinite detention without charge or trial.
Congress has made this task more difficult for you, but you have the authority
to close Guantánamo, and you must use it. Use your authority to direct the
release of the men you do not intend to try, and charge the rest in a court
that meets fair-trial standards. Begin by releasing the 86 men your own
administration has approved for transfer. And appoint an individual within your
administration to lead the closure of Guantánamo.
A grave crisis is currently unfolding at the U.S. prison in Guantánamo Bay,
where escalating despair has driven most of the imprisoned men to risk their
very lives to protest their indefinite detention through a peaceful,
large-scale hunger strike that is entering its fourth month. This crisis at
Guantánamo cannot be divorced from the fact that the vast majority of the 166
remaining prisoners have been held for more than 11 years without any charge or
trial, and with no end to their detention in sight.
Innocent people should not spend a decade in an American jail, only to die
alone and far from home. President Obama acknowledged this week that Guantánamo
needs to close because, in his words, it's "inefficient" and hurtful to our
"international standing." Words are not enough. He must match his words with
actions.
Click here to learn more and add your name to my petition to President Obama
urging him to make good on his promise to shut down Guantánamo.
Thank you for your support.
Leili Kashani

________________________________

org.credoaction.com helps activists like you make progressive change and fight
regressive policies by creating online petitions. Click here to start a
petition today.
This petition was created on org.credoaction.com,  a new people-powered
platform that allows activists to start and run CREDO-style campaigns.
 Share on Facebook
Post to your wall
 Tweet this
Post to Twitter