In Defense of Radicalism
I Was One of the Radicals at the Mosque
by KATHY MANLEY
After the Boston Marathon bombing some media outlets have
suggested that the Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center (ISBCC) was an
incubator of radicalism because the Tsarnaev brothers occasionally
worshipped there, and because they had permitted “radicals” who
“defended terrorism suspects” to speak there. See, i.e. (
http://www.usatoday.com/)  I have spoken there and defended the rights of
“terrorism suspects.” I
was one of those radicals: I spoke at the ISBCC, along with several
others, in September 2011 at an event called “Reclaiming Power and
Defending Our Communities: How You Can Protect Yourself from Profiling
and Preemptive Prosecution.” The event was sponsored by the National
Coalition to Protect Civil Freedoms (NCPCF), a civil rights coalition
composed of 20 Muslim and non-Muslim organizations, and was co-sponsored by
many other groups, including the Bill of Rights Defense Committee
(BORDC) and the ACLU’s Massachusetts chapter.
I spoke about the preemptive prosecution of Muslims in FBI sting
operations, and particularly about the case of my client Yassin Aref, a
Kurdish Iraqi imam whom the government had confused with someone they
believed was involved with Al Qaeda (who was later killed by a missile). Yassin
was tricked by a criminal con artist FBI provocateur into
witnessing a loan he believed was perfectly legal, but which the
government claimed constituted material support to the terrorist
organization the provocateur said he worked with. Despite Yassin’s
repeated statements that he did not support any terrorist group
anywhere, the post-9/11 climate of fear, coupled with the judge telling
the jury that the FBI had “good and valid reasons” to target him, made
the jury afraid to acquit him. This innocent man is serving a 15-year
sentence.
There are all too many similar cases, including many where the FBI
targeted young vulnerable Muslim men, sometimes with mental health
issues, and convinced them to participate in a phony “attack.” NCPCF has
compiled a database of Muslim “terrorism” cases based on the Department of
Justice’s list of 386 cases prosecuted in federal court––and has
found that 94% contain elements of preemptive prosecution, meaning those cases
were either sting operations led by informants or involved
targeting defendants who weren’t engaging in or planning any violent
acts.  Journalist Trevor Aaronson’s recent book, The Terror Factory, emphasizes
that if the FBI weren’t so caught up in manufacturing fake cases, it would be
more focused on preventing real ones.
We speak about this anywhere that will have us. Often mosques won’t – out of
fear that they will be attacked in the very way they were in the USA Today
article. We try to educate people about preemptive prosecution, and how to
avoid being entrapped in these fake plots.
 Interestingly, the FBI was present at the mosque in Boston the day we
were there, meeting with Muslim youth. We were concerned about that,
because we know they are there to find informants and provocateurs, and
to find out who they can target for a sting operation.
An excellent NYT op-ed by ISBCC imam Suhaib Webb and Scott Korb, called “No
Room for Radicals”, pointed out that it is not the young men who receive their
religious training
in the mosques who become interested in violent attacks – instead it’s
those who are alienated and ignorant about Islam, and who search out
extremists on the internet. In all cultures young men who are forming
their identities and exploring many different paths are in desperate
need of older male mentors to help them channel their energy in positive
directions. If mosques are intimidated into kicking out these young men in need
of such counsel, they’ll become more alienated and will search
for advice elsewhere––with potentially deadly results.
That’s why I don’t accept the word “radical” as a pejorative term. I
have always thought of myself as a radical, in the sense that my beliefs are
very different from those of the people in power. And the work
“radical,” after all, means “root,” i.e. getting to the root of a
problem, which seems anathema in this age of sound bites and fact-free
attacks.
For example, what does it mean that opposition to the US wars in Iraq and
Afghanistan is seen as a dangerous sign? This has often been
pointed to in the Boston case and others – the suspects were “angry
about the wars.” Well, I am also extremely angry about these wars and
the thousands of needless civilian deaths, and so are many other
non-Muslims. But it is often not safe for Muslims to speak against these wars,
even if (and maybe especially if) their families come from the
countries under attack. If it is not safe to talk about this, then what
happens?
Again, you have many angry young men who can’t go to their mosques
and community centers and talk about how legitimately heartbroken and
angry they are about the devastation wrought upon the lands of their
birth. Wouldn’t it be better if they could voice their anguish openly,
and could learn to see that if killing civilians is wrong in one place,
it is wrong everywhere? In fact, Islam teaches that it is wrong to kill
civilians, that suicide bombings are wrong, and that, similar to the
Christian “just war” theory, war may only be fought defensively. They
could then become involved in legitimate activism aimed at changing US
policy. But the government would rather isolate them and target them in
sting operations.
It is unfortunate that USA Today and other media outlets
have encouraged shallow irresponsible comments about the mosque, and the Muslim
community in Boston and falsely implied that they encouraged
terrorism.  Nothing could be further from the truth. Instead of false
stereotypes we need more radicalsim – radical understanding, radical
tolerance and radical peace – that is to say understanding, tolerance
and peace that gets to the root of the problem, rather than inflaming
it.
Kathy Manley is a criminal defense attorney and legal director of the National
Coalition to Protect Civil Freedoms.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/05/03/i-was-one-of-the-radicals-at-the-mosque/