http://pulsemedia.org/2013/05/05/immediate-responses-to-israels-attack/

Immediate Responses to Israel’s Attack

May 5, 2013 § Leave a
Comment<http://pulsemedia.org/2013/05/05/immediate-responses-to-israels-attack/#respond>

[image: qassioun
burning]<http://thinkpress.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/qassioun-burning.jpg>Israel’s
attack on Assad’s military bases on Mount Qassioun above Damascus have
provoked mixed feelings amongst Syrians. On the one hand, Syrians have been
well aware for over two years that Assad’s army is designed not to confront
Zionism but to slaughter the Syrian people.

 For a year and a half Mount Qassioun has been the launching pad for for
artillery and missile attacks on civilian areas of Damascus and its
suburbs. On the other hand, hatred and mistrust of Israel rightly runs very
deep indeed among the people, far deeper than among the regime which,
despite all its rhetoric, has not once (since 1973) responded to Israeli
violations of Syrian sovereignty. Syrians know that Israel’s attack is an
attempt to exploit the revolutionary situation for Israel’s own ends, that
it is part of Israel’s confrontation with Iran – something Syrians want no
part of, however much they may hate Iran’s criminal support of the
genocidal Assad regime – and that it offers grist to Assad’s propaganda
mill.

Here are some immediate responses to Israel’s attack. The Syrian National
Coalition released this
statement<http://www.etilaf.org/en/newsroom/press-release/item/448-statement-regarding-the-israeli-attack-on-syria.html>,
including this line: “The Coalition holds the Assad regime fully
responsible for weakening the Syrian Army by exhausting its forces in a
losing battle against the Syrian people.” Many Arabic language Youtube
videos show various Free Army and Salafist militias condemning both Israel
and Assad’s regime.

I wrote this on Facebook:

Assad responds to the Israeli attack by escalating his sectarian massacres
on the coast and his bombardment of Syrian cities, including the
Palestinian refugee camp at Yarmouk. Infantile so-called
‘anti-imperialists’ everywhere cheer on Assad’s ‘heroic resistance’.

By ‘sectarian massacres on the coast’ I was referring specifically to the
ongoing slaughter of Sunnis in al-Bayda and other areas of Banyas, causing
thousands to flee the area.

My next comment was this:

Isn’t it possible to absolutely oppose Israel and its self-interested
interference and at the same time to absolutely oppose the fascist Assad
regime and its deliberate sparking of regional sectarian war, its endless
massacres, its destruction of Syria’s heritage and infrastructure? Isn’t it
possible to support the Syrian resistance, despite the presence of Salafist
extremists and plain traumatised people who do unwise things? So many
so-called anti-imperialists are unable to do these things at the same time.
Why? The minority regime in Syria is, like Israel, one result of the
Sykes-Picot carve up and divide and rule machinations of 1916 to 1948.

Rime Allaf asked a very good question:

Where was all this “activist” attention to Syria and all the loyalists’
concern after the Assad regime knived children to death in Banyas?

She went on to write:

Many of us have openly opposed the criminal Israeli regime and the criminal
Syrian regime simultaneously, for years. Try it, it’s easy.

Rasha Othman wrote:

FYI: Syrians are not stupid. They know Israel didn’t bomb the living
daylights out of Assad because they truly care about the Syrian people or
the Syrian revolution. Their interest lies in deterring Hezbollah. Any
idiot can see that. Period. Unlike Obama, when Israel sets a redline, they
follow through. Its SAD that it had to go down like this. However, pointing
fingers and berating Syrians (especially from the comfort of your home and
your laptop!) who feel a sense of happiness, however awkward, when Assad
soldiers and weapons caches are destroyed, need to check themselves. The
mother whose children were slaughtered with machetes in Banyas is not
crying over what happened in Qasioun yesterday evening. And it is possible
that you can support neither Assad, or Israel. Really, it is. Think about
it.

Thomas Pierret on the Syrian Revolution

May 4, 2013 § 2
Comments<http://pulsemedia.org/2013/05/04/thomas-pierret-on-the-syrian-revolution/#comments>
[image: a scene from the sectarian massacre in al-Bayda, May
2013]<http://thinkpress.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/syrian-massacre-008.jpg>

a scene from the sectarian massacre in al-Bayda, May 2013

*I hate to link to the Angry Arab for various reasons. This is the man who,
on the one hand, was onlyable to
mention<http://angryarab.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/juliani-mer-khamis.html>
Juliano
Mer Khamis, the martyred Palestinian founder of Balata refugee camp’s
Freedom Theatre, in the context of slandering his mother’s ethnicity (yes,
she was an Israeli Jew, but one who chose to marry a Palestinian – and
Juliano was a man who could have used his mother’s identity to live between
the bars and beaches of Tel Aviv, but chose to live and work in occupied
Nablus instead). On the other hand he slanders serious scholars like
Mearsheimer and Walt, men who have done such important work on exposing the
machinations of the Israel Lobby in the US, by accusing them of
anti-semitism. (I wonder why he, an American-based academic, has had so
much less trouble with people like Campus Watch than real intellectuals
like Edward Said and Norman Finkelstein, who made much less dramatic
anti-Israel statements). His coverage of the Syrian Revolution has been
appalling. He has relied on informants such as ‘an American friend’ to
inform his readership that the revolutionary suburbs of Damascus are ‘like
Kandahar’ (usually he is overquick to accuse Western commentators of
Islamophobia). He has consistently exaggerated the barbarism and
sectarianism of elements of the Syrian resistance while consistently
underestimating or ignoring the sectarianism and barbarism of the Syrian
regime. The questions he poses in this interview with Syria expert Thomas
Pierret<http://angryarab.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/angry-arab-interviews-thomas-pierret-on.html?spref=fb>expose
his sectarian bias, but Pierret’s responses are so clear and well-informed
that the post deserves reposting here.*
“1) You and I have disagreed on Syria, do you think that Syria experts have
been wrong in the last years especially with the regular and constant
predictions of the imminent fall of the regime?

*The generalisation is problematic. Such predictions were rather made by
journalists, who have the good excuse of not being Syria experts, and
Western officials, who often did so for a bad reason, i.e. in order to
justify their inaction: if Asad is about to fall, then there is no need to
do anything to stop him.*
* *
*“Experts” did not collectively agree upon the imminent fall of the regime.
In early April 2011, I published an op-ed in the French newspaper Le Monde. The
last sentence said this: “Nothing guarantees the success of the Syrian
revolution, and if it happens at all, it will certainly be long, and
painful” . I was not the only one to think that way. I clearly remember a
conversation I had at the same time with Steven Heydemann, who was even
more pessimistic than I was: he predicted that the regime would use its
full military might against the opposition, and that none would act to stop
it.*
* *
*I must admit that later developments made me over-optimistic at times, but
overall, I do not think I have seriously under-estimated the solidity of
the regime.*
* *
2) What accounts for the resilience of the admittedly repressive regime?
Has it been difficult for the supporters of the opposition to acknowledge
this resilience?*
*

I do not speak in the name of the “supporters of the opposition”. *As far
as I am concerned, **it has not been difficult for me to acknowledge
something I had anticipated from day one.*
* *
*The only independent variable you need to understand the resilience of the
Syrian regime is the kin-based and sectarian (Alawite) nature of its
military. All other purported factors are in fact dependent variables.*
* *
*The kin-based/sectarian nature of the military is what allows the regime
to be not merely “repressive”, but to be able to wage a full-fledged war
against its own population. Not against a neighboring state, an occupied
people or a separatist minority, but against the majority of the
population, including the inhabitants of the metropolitan area (i.e.
Damascus and its suburbs). There are very few of such cases in modern
history. Saddam Hussein and Qaddafi are the closest examples in the region,
but the West proved much less tolerant with them.*
* *
*The regime’s resilience is in no way a reflection of its legitimacy: on
the contrary, the legitimacy of this regime is inversely proportional to
the level of violence it needs to use to ensure its survival; in other
words, this is a highly illegitimate regime in the eyes of most Syrians.*
* *

*Kinship has been key to securing the loyalty of the upper echelons of the
military in order to avoid the fate of Ben Ali and Mubarak. The latter did
not have the chance to have a large number of relatives among the top
military/security hierarchy, contrary to Bashar al-Asad, whose own brother
Maher is the actual no. 1 in the military (other relatives in top
military/security positions include Hafez Makhluf, Dhu al-Himma Shalish,
Atef Najib and Asef Shawkat, among many others). In such a situation,
generals cannot seriously think about sacrificing the president in order to
save the system: contrary to their Egyptian or Tunisian counterparts, they
are not in a position to claim that they are in fact good guys who have
nothing to do with the awful incumbent dictator. They stay with Asad, or
they fall with him. Beyond kin ties, the loyalty of the military hierarchy
has been secured through sectarianism, since it is likely that a majority
of the officers belong to the Alawite community.*
* *
*Sectarianism is a powerful instrument to make sure that you can use the
army’s full military might against the population. No military that is
reasonably representative of the population could do what the Syrian army
did over the last two years, i.e. destroying most of the country’s major
cities, including large parts of the capital. You need a sectarian or
ethnic divide that separates the core of the military from the target
population. Algeria went through a nasty civil war in the 1990s, and
Algerian generals are ruthless people, but I do not think that the Algerian
military ever used heavy artillery against one of the country’s large
cities. The fact that the best units in the Syrian military are largely
manned with Alawite soldiers (in addition to members of some loyal Bedouin
clans) has been key to explaining the level of violence we have seen over
the last two years. Of course, the majority of Syrian soldiers are Sunnis,
but it is striking that Asad did only use a minority of the army’s
available units: according to some observers, only one third of the army
was entrusted with combat missions since the start uprising. Seen from that
angle, the purported “cohesion” of the Syrian army becomes much less
puzzling: the risk of defections significantly decreases when two-third of
the soldiers are in fact locked up in their barracks, or at least kept away
from the battlefield.*
* *
*Once the military hierachy is loyal, and once you can use a significant
proportion of the army to unleash unlimited violence upon the population,
the rest follows. The regime keeps control of major population centers
thanks to its much superior firepower and ability to use it, thus it keeps
the families of many of its soldiers as de factohostages. For instance, a
friend of mine just defected from the army after his family (which had
moved from one of Damascus’ suburbs to downtown in order to escape the
regime’s air raids) eventually managed to leave for Egypt.*
* *
*The regime’s military force also keeps much of the businessmen and
middle-class loyal because although they often hate the regime, they know
that changing it means civil war, and they do not have enough to loose to
take that risk. And actually, even when businessmen cease to actively
support the regime (an enormous proportion of them have moved with their
assets to Turkey and Egypt over the last year), the regime is still
standing, because it still controls the military. Then you have the
diplomats who also remain loyal, often because they know that the regime is
firmly in control of Damascus, which means that it can kill their relatives
and burn their house if they defect. On the contrary, massive defections of
Libyan diplomats occurred in 2011 because they had calculated that the
regime would fall quickly, not because they had become liberal democrats
overnight. It is all about calculation, not about some belief in the
legitimacy of the regime.*
* *
*Support from religious minorities has also been frequently mentioned as a
cause for the resilience of the regime. But except for the very peculiar
case of the Alawites, minorities do in fact weigh very little in the
balance: even if all Christians were supporting Asad (which of course is
not the case, neither for Christians nor for any other sect), we would
still be speaking of a mere 5% of the population with very little influence
over the state and the military. Other religious minorities are much, much
smaller, they do not make a difference.*
* *
*In fact, many of the factors that have been frequently invoked to account
for the resilience of the Syrian regime where also present in Mubarak’s
Egypt: crony businessmen and a wealthy middle-class that has benefitted
from economic liberalization (in fact much more so in Egypt than in Syria);
a non-Muslim population that is anxious at the possible rise of the
Islamists after the revolution; a sizeable bureaucracy and a hegemonic
party with considerable patronage capacities (in 2011 Mubarak’s NDP was
probably stronger than the long-neglected Ba’th party). Yet, none of these
factors had any positive impact upon the resilience of Mubarak, which means
that the cause for Asad’s resilience should be looked for elsewhere: it is
the kin-based/sectarian character of the military.*
* *
*Then you have external, i.e. Iranian and Russian, support. It has been
important, but it only came because the Syrian regime first demonstrated
that it was solid enough to be worth spending a few billion dollars on
financial and military aid.*
* *
*There is one last factor that has been commonly evoked among the left in
the Arab world and the west, i.e. Asad’s purported “nationalist
legitimacy”. My aim here is not to assess Asad’s nationalist credentials, a
debate which I find only moderately interesting. My point is that none in
Syria decided to side with or against the regime on the basis of its
foreign policy, or on the basis of some “nationalist” sentiment. Making a
decision based upon foreign policy issues is a luxury none can afford when
a revolutionary process puts your own individual fate at stake: what people
have in mind in such circumstances are issues like freedom, dignity,
equality, fear, sectarianism, and interest, not “resistance” or
“sympathy/antipathy for the west”. People chose their side, then they
rationalised it ex post by making Asad a beacon of nationalism, or on the
contrary, a traitor. Otherwise, it would be hard to explain why formerly
pro-Western bourgeois suddently discovered that they were staunch
anti-imperialists, whereas hardline Islamists who had volunteered to fight
US troops in Iraq a few years before claimed that they would not mind if
NATO was providing them with air support.*
* *
3) Regarding your study of Syrian `Ulama’, is it fair to say that the
`ulama’ who joined the revolt tend to be more reactionary and more
conservative than those like Buti and Hassun who stuck with the regime? (I
am not merely talking about reformism in terms of rituals following
Qaradawi but in terms of views of women and minorities and role of religion
in society and body politic?*
*
*First of all, I cannot think of a more reactionary stance than supporting
Asad’s fascistic and homicidal regime. This is what really matters if we
speak of “conservatism” and “reformism”.*
* *
*For the rest, no, it is not fair to say such a thing. There is no general
pattern here. First of all, al-Buti and Hassun are hardly comparable
figures. Supporting the regime is probably the only thing they ever agreed
upon. Hassun holds fairly non-conformist views, he has spoken positively of
secularism and inter-faith dialogue. An arch-conservative, al-Buti despised
all of this. His alliance with the regime was not based on any kind of
sympathy for the regime’s ideology, which he execrated, but instead on
pragmatism and on a medieval, quietist approach to Sunni political
theology. Al-Buti simply never expressed a single reformist opinion during
his life. **By comparison with him, Mouaz al-Khatib is a very liberal and
open-minded figure. On women, for instance, there is a very telling
anecdote that happened in 2007: al-Buti lobbied for months in order to
obtain that two feminist associations be banned by the authorities, which
eventually happened; the only religious figure who openly criticised that
initiative was Mouaz al-Khatib, who argued that “Islamists should never
think in terms of repression”. On minorities, regardless of the text on
Sunni-Shiite relations he published in early 2007 (which in my view was
misinterpreted and not properly contextualised), al-Khatib has made very
clear public statements about inter-faith unity. I think in particular of