"Allow the President to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall
deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so,
whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose --
and you allow him to make war at pleasure. If today, he should choose to
say he thinks it necessary to invade Canada, to prevent the British from
invading us, how could you stop him? You may say to him, 'I see no
probability of the British invading us' but he will say to you, 'Be
silent; I see it, if you don't." :
Abraham Lincoln.

"The problems of this world are so gigantic that some are paralysed by
their own uncertainty. Courage and wisdom are needed to reach out above
this sense of helplessness. Desire for vengeance against deeds of hatred
offers no solution. An eye for an eye makes the world blind. If we wish to
choose the other path, we will have to search for ways to break the spiral
of animosity. To fight evil one must also recognize one's own
responsibility. The values for which we stand must be expressed in the way
we think of, and how we deal with, our fellow humans" - From the Christmas
Message 2001 of HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands