UN Says US-Backed Opposition, Not Syrian Regime, Used Poison Gas
>by Alex Lantier
>WSWS.org
>In a series of interviews, UN
investigator Carla del Ponte said that sarin gas used in Syria was fired by the
US-backed opposition, not the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.
>Her account explodes the lies on which Washington and its
European allies have based their campaign for war with Syria, according to
which
the US and its allies are preparing to attack Syria to protect its people from
Assad’s chemical weapons. In fact, available evidence of sarin use implicates
the Islamist-dominated “rebels” who are armed by US-allied Middle Eastern
countries, under CIA supervision.
>Del Ponte’s statements coincide with the flagrantly illegal
Israeli air strikes on Syria, which have been endorsed by President Obama.
These
acts of war mark a major escalation of the US-instigated and supported
sectarian
war for regime-change in Syria, itself a preparation for attacks on the Syrian
regime’s main ally in the region, Iran.
>Del Ponte is a former Swiss attorney general who served on
Western-backed international courts on Yugoslavia and Rwanda. She currently
sits
on a UN commission of inquiry on Syria. In an interview with Italian-Swiss
broadcaster RSI on Sunday, she said, “According to the testimonies we have
gathered, the rebels have used chemical weapons, making use of sarin gas.”
>She explained, “Our investigators have been in neighboring
countries interviewing victims, doctors, and field hospitals, and, according to
their report of last week which I have seen, there are strong, concrete
suspicions but not yet incontrovertible proof of the use of sarin gas, from the
way the victims were treated. This was on the part of the opposition, the
rebels, not by the government authorities.”
>She added, “This is not surprising, since the opponents [i.e.,
the anti-Assad opposition] have been infiltrated by foreign fighters.”
>In a video interview on the BBC yesterday, del Ponte said, “We
collected some witness testimony that made it appear that some chemical weapons
were used, in particular, nerve gas. What appeared to our investigation was
that
was used by the opponents, by the rebels. We have no, no indication at all that
the government, the authorities of the Syrian government, had used chemical
weapons.”
>These statements expose the US campaign over chemical weapons in
Syria as a series of lies, concocted to justify another war of aggression in
the
Middle East. The campaign began in late March, as the US military was
announcing
plans for stepped-up intervention in Syria, when the Assad regime charged that
the opposition had fired a rocket with a chemical warhead at Khan al-Asal, near
Aleppo. It killed 26 people, including 16 Syrian soldiers, according to
opposition sources.
>The opposition responded by alleging that it was the Assad
regime that had fired the chemical rockets. This was highly implausible, as the
rocket was aimed at pro-Assad forces.
>Nonetheless, the US political and media establishment took
opposition allegations as good coin, demanding stepped-up intervention in Syria
based on Obama’s remarks in August of 2012 that use of chemical weapons by the
Syrian government would be a “red line” prompting a US attack.
>On April 26, the White House endorsed this campaign in a letter
to Congress, declaring: “The US intelligence community assesses with some
degree
of varying confidence that the Syrian regime has used chemical weapons on a
small scale in Syria.”
>This statement had no basis in fact and was evidently fabricated
by ignoring witness testimony gathered by the UN. Even after Del Ponte’s
interviews, US officials continued to make inflammatory statements implying
that
Assad is using chemical weapons. An Obama administration advisor told the New
York Times yesterday, “It’s become pretty clear to everyone that Assad is
calculating whether those weapons might save him.”
>The use of sarin by the US-backed Sunni Islamist opposition,
which is tied to Al Qaeda and routinely carries out terror attacks inside
Syria,
also raises the question of how it obtained the poison gas. The US Council on
Foreign Relations describes sarin as “very complex and dangerous to make,”
though it can be made “by a trained chemist with publicly available
chemicals.”
>Whether the Islamists received sarin from their foreign backers,
synthesized it themselves possibly under outside supervision, or stole it from
Syrian stockpiles, its use makes clear the reckless and criminal character of
US
backing for the Islamist opposition.
>Throughout the Syrian war, the American state and media have
operated on the assumption that the public could be manipulated and fed the
most
outrageous lies. Whether these lies were even vaguely plausible did not matter,
because the media could be relied upon to spin them to justify deepening the
attack on Syria.
>Time and again—in the Houla massacre of May 2012 and the murder
of journalist Gilles Jacquier in January 2012—the media blamed atrocities
perpetrated by the opposition on the Assad regime, then dropped the issue when
it emerged that the opposition was responsible. Even the US government’s
announcement last December that Al Qaeda-linked opposition forces had carried
out hundreds of terror bombings in Syria did not dim media support for the
war.
>Now the US media are burying news of del Ponte’s interview, as
Washington moves towards direct intervention in Syria. Her interview was not
mentioned in any of the three major network evening news programs yesterday.
>Instead, after the Israeli air strikes against Syrian targets on
Thursday and Sunday, US officials and media pundits boasted that US forces
could
attack Syrian air defenses with few casualties. (See: “The Israeli strikes on
Syria”).
>Reprising the lies about weapons of mass destruction (WMD) used
to justify the war against Iraq, the US ruling elite is placing chemical
weapons
at the center of its war propaganda on Syria. Yesterday, the Washington Post
wrote: “Israeli strikes—following reports in recent weeks that Assad’s forces
probably deployed chemical weapons in unknown quantities—appeared to bolster
the
case of those who have long favored direct US support for the rebels.”
>The New York Times noted that Obama might use chemical weapons
as pretext for war if he attacked without UN Security Council authorization. It
wrote: “Russia would almost certainly veto any effort to obtain UN Security
Council authorization to take military action. So far, Mr. Obama has avoided
seeking such authorization, and that is one reason that past or future use of
chemical weapons could serve as a legal argument for conducting strikes.”
>The newspaper did not remark that, in such a case, Obama’s war
against Syria would be just as illegal from the standpoint of international law
as Bush’s invasion of Iraq ten years ago. That war, which cost over a million
Iraqi lives and tens of thousands of US casualties, as well as trillions of
dollars, is deeply hated in the American and international working class.
>The American ruling elite’s need to downplay the war in Iraq as
it prepares to launch a similar bloodbath in Syria underlay the New York Times
column penned yesterday by the Times ’ former executive editor, Bill Keller,
entitled “Syria Is Not Iraq.” Lamenting that the experience of the Iraq
war—which he and the Times had promoted with false reports of Iraqi WMD—had
left
him “gun-shy,” Keller bluntly asserted, “getting Syria right starts with
getting
over Iraq.”
>By “getting over Iraq,” Keller meant overcoming concerns about
using military action and mass killing to crush opposition to US policy. He
wrote that “in Syria, I fear prudence has become fatalism… our reluctance to
arm
the rebels or defend the civilians being slaughtered in their homes has
convinced the Assad regime (and the world) that we are not serious.”
>Claiming that Washington is preparing military plans “in the
event that Assad’s use of chemical weapons forces our hand,” he pushed for
rapid
intervention, writing, “Why wait for the next atrocity?”
>Keller’s warmongering column is a particularly clear example of
how the media’s promotion of US imperialist policy is divorced from reality.
The
fact that there is no evidence that Assad has used chemical weapons, or that
the
next atrocity in Syria will likely be carried out by US-backed forces, is
irrelevant to the Times. Its concern is to package the next US war, the facts
be
damned.
>The collective intellectual and moral bankruptcy of the media
and the ruling elite accounts for the fact that del Ponte’s explosive
revelations can be buried without comment. Drunk on its own lying propaganda,
desperate to erase the conclusions the population has drawn from Washington’s
last bloody debacle, the American ruling class is tobogganing towards a new
catastrophe.
>________________________________
>Close
>Forgot password?
>Please put in your email:  Send me my
password!
>Close
message

>Subscribe to this blog's comments through...
>       *
>       *
>       *
>       *
>RSS Feed
>Subscribe via email Subscribe
>Admin Options
>  Disable
comments for this page
>Save Settings  You are about to flag this comment as
being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the
text box below and submit your report. The blog adm

>       * Check
Spelling
>Enter text right here!
>Reply as a Guest, or login: