>From Global Women's Strike/LA: l...@allwomencount.net

Protest Against a New Women's Jail in Castaic

This Saturday, May 18th at Noon

At The Pitchess Detention Center - North Facility

29320 The Old Road, Castaic  91384 - 38 Miles from Downtown LA

Free Carpool at 10:00 AM from Chuco's Justice Center

1137 E. Redondo Blvd, Inglewood  90302 and Skid Row (Email for Details)

To RSVP for the Action
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4T4Kae5vOPj6giC6qZRKGYAh89FL4RSE>
 Here! For Free Carpool or Questions, Please Email: c...@criticalresistance.org

Dear Friends,

Global Women’s Strike/LA is supporting actions including the action in Castaic
this Saturday to stop the building of a new women’s jail in LA County. With the
safety net in shreds including the dismantling of welfare as a right for the
most impoverished mothers and with minimum wage levels so low that families
cannot survive, women are the fastest growing population of those going to
prison.  When welfare is cut the number of women arrested for prostitution
increases. The vast majority of women being incarcerated are single mothers
with a disproportionate impact on women of color.

Single mothers and our children are the fastest growing population among the
homeless in LA County.  As the economic crisis deepens, women are forced to do
whatever we can to keep a roof over our heads & feed our children resulting in
increasing numbers of moms being criminalized.  And those who are criminalized
face discrimination in the waged work force and are also not eligible for
compensation if they are raped or suffer other violence. Additionally mothers
who are incarcerated are vulnerable to losing their parental rights with their
children ending up in foster care or adopted out to strangers.

We say no to money for new jails and yes to money for welfare, housing and
other resources

to keep families together, rather than tearing families apart!
- - -

http://img.ymlp214.net/wfhla_image001_50.jpg

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=NJoytjSCc0mtcVq%2Fcu4uyoAh89FL4RSE>
 Please let us know if you can make it!

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=mV8EnVHtlyDnqv7hm0V%2BtIAh89FL4RSE>
 RSVP Here

<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qCA385RU73H9eyChst7k64Ah89FL4RSE>
 http://img.ymlp214.net/wfhla_image002_316.jpg

LA County Sheriff Baca wants to spend $100 million to expand the Pitchess
Detention Center in the City of Castaic. His proposed expansion would cage over
1,000 women, girls, and trans people—most of them from poor and working
communities of color. LA County Board of Supervisors is giving him time to
shore up his schemes. If they think that we’ll sit by and watch a thousand more
people from our communities get locked up, we need to prove them wrong!

Come out to Castaic on Saturday, May 18th, and stand against this jail.
Defeating the jail in Castaic helps defend against the negative impacts of
imprisonment in Los Angeles County—and it helps us to strengthen our ability to
fight for the healthy, stable communities we want and deserve!

What:  Protest Against a New Women's Jail in Castaic

When:  Saturday, May 18th at Noon

Where:  Pitchess Detention Center, North Facility, 29320 The Old Road, Castaic,
CA 91384 (38 miles from downtown LA)

Carpool: at 10am from Chuco's Justice Center (1137 E. Redondo Blvd, Inglewood,
CA 90302) and Skid Row (email for details)

To RSVP for the action
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4T4Kae5vOPj6giC6qZRKGYAh89FL4RSE>
 Here! For free carpool or questions, please email
<mailto:c...@criticalresistance.org> c...@criticalresistance.org.

Who:  Critical Resistance, No More Jails LA, Youth Justice Coalition, Coalition
to End Sheriff Violence, Global Women's Strike, Californians United for a
Responsible Budget and more.

In solidarity,

http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/51040/images/Headshots%20and%20Signatures/DianaZuniga.pnghttp://img.ymlp214.net/wfhla_image005_11.jpg

Diana Zuñiga

LA No More Jails &
Californians United for a Responsible Budget (CURB)

P.S. If you haven't already, please check out our CURB's 2012 Annual Report
<http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=BcV%2Bgbl4ra%2F2S09Rv2x7cHvufXcuXESD>
 !