Checkpoint: The Every Day Life of Humiliation for Palestinians (Short
Documentary)<http://www.juancole.com/2013/05/humiliation-palestinians-documentary.html>

Posted on 05/25/2013 by Juan Cole

Checkpoint – Every Day Life in Palestine
Documentary<http://youtu.be/2V_qo2FLHvs> (
Subtitles )

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2V_qo2FLHvs
*

” Published on Apr 27, 2013

A film showing the day to day reality of Palestinians subjected to
demeaning humiliation at Israeli military checkpoints as they attempt to go
about their daily lives in their own lands.

No political speeches. No opinions. Just an honest record of the drudgery
and humiliation of dealing with checkpoints.

Supported by the New Israeli Foundation for Cinema and Television”

By Social TV <http://972mag.com/author/socialtv/> |Published May 24, 2013WATCH:
Arab women protest against domestic violence in Israel

*In the past decade, 76 Arab women have been murdered in domestic violence
in Israel. The ‘Committee for the Struggle against the Murder of Women in
Arab Society’ held an event protesting murder and violence against Arab
women. Families of the victims are still demanding justice since most of
the murderers are still free.*

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AIMCEdN1jA0
*

*---------------------------------------------------*

*
http://972mag.com/confronting-our-tyrants-incarceration-and-torture-in-palestinian-prisons/72097/
*

**
*By +972blog <http://972mag.com/author/972blog/>** |Published May 25,
2013Confronting
our tyrants: Incarceration and torture in Palestinian prisons*

*Findings by a Palestinian human rights group paint a grim picture of
imprisonment and torture under both the Palestinian Authority and Hamas
regimes. One guest blogger holds that despite the Israeli occupation, these
political groups can no longer act with impunity under the guise of
liberators.*

*By Talal Alyan*
*<http://972mag.com/confronting-our-tyrants-incarceration-and-torture-in-palestinian-prisons/72097/ram/>

Around 200 protesters march to the Muquata, the Palestinian Authority (PA)
headquarters, to protest against the latests wave of political arrests made
by the Palestinian Authority, Ramallah, October 2, 2012. (photo:
Activestills)
*

*“The image before the return of the PLO was the image of the freedom
fighter/ Now here is that same freedom fighter (chained with the conditions
of his enemies), exercising his direct authority on the ordinary citizen,
on the old men, on the students.” – Mourid Barghouti *

*Palestinian Authority (PA) security forces recently arrested Zaher
Ash-Shashteery, a representative of the Popular Front for the Liberation of
Palestine (PFLP). His alleged crime: he spoke out against the
transgressions of the PA. Of course, it will come as no surprise to most
Palestinians to learn about this arrest. We are all familiar with the
constant human rights violations of both Hamas and the PA. We have all
heard stories of protests being put down by Palestinian security forces, or
of civilians being arbitrarily arrested and tortured.*

*It is a strange position that Palestinians find themselves in. Should we
forfeit our grievances with these political powers and their cronies, and
instead focus entirely on the ongoing occupation? Or should we reserve some
of our effort to speak out against these ruling political factions? One
main concern is that our complaints may be hijacked by sponsors of the
occupation in order to divert attention from Israeli actions. This isn’t an
unwarranted concern – the crisis in Syria, for instance, is often evoked to
imply that we should not focus on the Israeli occupation, and that some
injustices should be prioritized over others. For the same reasons that I
reject this logic I also have to believe that we owe something to
Palestinians languishing in the jails of Hamas and the PA. It is our
responsibility to insist that their suffering not be secondary.*

*Arbitrary incarceration*

*The fear of being arrested suddenly and without charge by Israel is a
frightening fact of life that most Palestinians, especially in the West
Bank, have to live with. The psychological implications of going through
your day knowing that you or your loved one might be snatched at any moment
will for generations torment the Palestinian psyche. Unfortunately, anxiety
over Israeli arrest is further agitated by a fear of abduction at the hands
of the PA or Hamas. Family members of those arrested are often given no
information about where their loved ones are being taken, or for how long
they will be held. Similarly, the incarcerated are commonly denied access
to a lawyer for extended periods of time. The Palestinian Authority
arbitrarily arrested 755 persons in the West Bank in 2011. The number
itself is likely an underestimate, as it only includes complaints lodged to
the Independent Commission for Human Rights <http://www.ichr.ps/en>. The
number of complaints is almost assuredly curbed by fears of retaliation. In
the two years before 2011, there were around 3,045 complaints of arbitrary
detention filed with ICHR against the PA.*

*The situation in Gaza is no less grim, with 271 complaints lodged against
Hamas in 2011. The fact that these figures are significantly lower than
those in the West Bank is likely due to a heightened fear of reprisal from
Hamas. ICHR received 1,789 complaints about arbitrary arrests in Gaza
during 2009 and 2010. Palestinian law prohibits arrests without warrants
except in extraordinary circumstances. However, Human Rights Watch notes
that warrants are often issued after the individual has been already been
arrested and detained an extended time period.*

*Torture*

*The torture of detained Palestinians is a common occurrence in both the
West Bank and Gaza. Palestinian law strictly prohibits the employment of
torture, as Article 13 of the Palestinian Basic Law dictates that any
confessions or statement made during torture are to be considered “null and
void.” Despite the clear illegality of evidence acquired by torture,
confessions are often permitted in court cases and influence verdicts.
Palestinians are also supposed to be given a medical examination prior to
incarceration in order to establish the prisoner’s wellbeing before
interrogation. However, the practice is rarely employed.*

*112 complaints about torture were filed with the ICHR against the PA in
2011, and Hamas was not far behind with 102 complaints filed. There were
five documented deaths of Palestinians held in Hamas custody in 2011. It is
worth reiterating that the listed number of individuals tortured by the PA
and Hamas is most likely an underestimate. The ICHR notes the insistence on
anonymity by most persons who register complaints – an indication of the
concern most have about retaliation. In addition, Hamas prevents human
rights workers from visiting individuals while they are being held, thereby
preventing an assessment of ongoing torture. The torture methods range from
beatings to mock executions, and the employment of electrical cables and
strappado <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strappado> is also common.*

*Resisting all oppressors*

*The transgressions of the PA and Hamas do not excuse Israeli policy. They
may be hijacked and exploited to conceal the occupation, but that
possibility should not intimidate us into silence. Instead, it should stand
as a testament to our consistency and our thirst for liberation – that we
resist all forms of injustice.*

*It is often a misconception, believed by these authoritarian groups, that
they can act with impunity under the guise of liberators. But if ever there
was a commonality amongst Palestinians, a shared characteristic threading
us together, it is our resentment of oppression. Hamas and the Palestinian
Authority would do well to remind themselves of the endurance of
Palestinian memory, and of our unwillingness to forgive subjugation
regardless of the perpetrator.*

*Talal Alyan is a Palestinian freelance
writer<http://talalalyan.policymic.com/> currently
living in Syracuse, New York. He wishes to thank Nader Atassi for his
advice and guidance.*

*Related:
Political persecution, torture as common practice and executions in
Hamas-run
courts<http://972mag.com/political-persecution-torture-as-common-practice-and-executions-in-hamas-run-courts/57226/>

Palestinians and the Syrian Revolution: Lessons from the fight against
fascism<http://972mag.com/palestinians-and-the-syrian-revolution-lessons-from-the-fight-against-fascism/68718/>
*