>From Norman Solomon, Coalition for Grassroots Progress:
>solomonprogress...@gmail.com

 <http://t.ymlp318.net/bbhuapaybhbadajyagaesquw/click.php> Coalition for
Grassroots Progress logoPublished by
<http://t.ymlp318.net/bbheapaybhbafajyaxaesquw/click.php> CommonDreams.org on
June 7, 2013

The Bill of Rights Exists: An Open Letter to Dianne Feinstein
By Norman Solomon

Dear Senator Feinstein:

On Thursday, when you responded
<http://t.ymlp318.net/bbhmavaybhbanajyacaesquw/click.php>  to news about
massive ongoing surveillance of phone records of people in the United States,
you slipped past the meaning of the Fourth Amendment. As the chair of the
Senate Intelligence Committee, you seem to be in the habit of treating the Bill
of Rights as merely advisory.

The Constitution doesn’t get any better than this: “The right of the people to
be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable
searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but
upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly
describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

The greatness of the Fourth Amendment explains why so many Americans took it to
heart in civics class, and why so many of us treasure it today. But along with
other high-ranking members of Congress and the president of the United States,
you have continued to chip away at this sacred bedrock of civil liberties.

As The Guardian reported
<http://t.ymlp318.net/bbhjadaybhbacajyataesquw/click.php>  the night before
your sudden news conference
<http://t.ymlp318.net/bbhbalaybhbakajyazaesquw/click.php> , the leaked secret
court order “shows for the first time that under the Obama administration the
communication records of millions of U.S. citizens are being collected
indiscriminately and in bulk—regardless of whether they are suspected of any
wrongdoing.”

One of the most chilling parts of that just-revealed Surveillance Court order
<http://t.ymlp318.net/bbhhacaybhbaoajyaaaesquw/click.php>  can be found at the
bottom of the first page, where it says “Declassify on: 12 April 2038.”

Apparently you thought—or at least hoped—that we, the people of the United
States, wouldn’t find out for 25 years. And the fact that we learned about this
extreme violation of our rights in 2013 instead of 2038 seems to bother you a
lot.

Rather than call for protection of the Fourth Amendment, you want authorities
to catch and punish whoever leaked this secret order. You seem to fear that
people can actually discover what their own government is doing to them with
vast surveillance.

Meanwhile, the Executive Branch is being run by kindred spirits, as hostile to
the First Amendment as to the Fourth. On Thursday night, Director of National
Intelligence James Clapper issued a statement saying the “unauthorized
disclosure of a top secret U.S. court document threatens potentially
long-lasting and irreversible harm to our ability to identify and respond to
the many threats facing our nation.”

That statement from Clapper is utter and complete hogwash. Whoever leaked the
four-page Surveillance Court document to Glenn Greenwald at The Guardian
deserves a medal and an honorary parade down Pennsylvania Avenue in the
Nation’s Capital. The only “threats” assisted by disclosure of that document
are the possibilities of meaningful public discourse and informed consent of
the governed.

Let’s be candid about the most clear and present danger to our country’s
democratic values. The poisonous danger is spewing from arrogance of power in
the highest places. The antidotes depend on transparency of sunlight that only
whistleblowers, a free press and an engaged citizenry can bring.

As Greenwald tweeted after your news conference: “The reason there are leakers
is precisely because the govt is filled with people like Dianne Feinstein who
do horrendous things in secret.” And, he pointed out, “The real story isn’t
just the spying itself: it’s that we have this massive, ubiquitous Surveillance
State, operating in total secrecy.”

Obviously, you like it that way, and so do most other members of the Senate and
House. And so does the president. You’re all playing abhorrent roles,
maintaining a destructive siege of precious civil liberties. While building a
surveillance state, you are patting citizens on the head and telling them not
to worry.

Perhaps you should have a conversation with Al Gore and ask about his
statement: “Is it just me, or is secret blanket surveillance obscenely
outrageous?” Actually, many millions of Americans understand that the blanket
surveillance is obscenely outrageous.

As a constituent, I would like to offer an invitation. A short drive from your
mansion overlooking San Francisco Bay, hundreds of us will be meeting June 11
at a public forum <http://t.ymlp318.net/bbhwadaybhbadajyaxaesquw/click.php>  on
“Disappearing Civil Liberties in the United States.” (You’d be welcome to my
time on the panel.) One of the speakers, Pentagon Papers whistleblower Daniel
Ellsberg, could explain to you how the assaults on civil liberties and the wars
you keep supporting go hand in hand, undermining the Constitution and causing
untold misery.

Senator Feinstein, your energetic contempt for the Bill of Rights is serving a
bipartisan power structure that threatens to crush our democratic possibilities.

A huge number of people in California and around the country will oppose your
efforts for the surveillance state at every turn.

Sincerely,

Norman Solomon

  _____

Norman Solomon is co-founder of RootsAction.org and founding director of the
Institute for Public Accuracy. His books include "War Made Easy: How Presidents
and Pundits Keep Spinning Us to Death." He is co-chair of the Coalition for
Grassroots Progress.

Here's a link for sharing this article: www.commondreams.org/view/2013/06/07

 <http://t.ymlp318.net/bbhqataybhbadajyapaesquw/click.php>

Coalition for Grassroots Progress