http://portside.org/2013-06-08/dangers-associated-syrian-proxy-war

Dangers Associated With The Syrian Proxy War

By Bill Fletcher, Jr
June 6, 2013
Black Commentator

The USA should have learned from its experiences in Iraq, and later
Libya, that fishing in troubled waters can bring with it very profound
consequences.

By Bill Fletcher, Jr,
,

The African World

While it is positive that the USA and Russia have been discussing a
peaceful resolution to the Syrian civil war, the reality is that this
conflict may grow and spread.  Although the US media speaks about this
conflict in religious terms, i.e., Sunni vs. Shia, such a description
is far too simplistic and does not help us better understand what has
been unfolding.

The Syrian civil war started in the context of the so-called Arab
Spring.  There was a peaceful pro-democracy rising that had little to
do with what sect within Islam someone found one’s self.  It was a
rising against a despotic, quasi-monarchy [the regime of President
Bashar al-Assad] that made frequent use of progressive—and even
anti-imperialist—rhetoric while it was suppressing its citizenry.  The
social base for the leadership clique of President Assad was among the
Alawites, a Muslim sect related to the Shiites, but it would be
incorrect to see the Syrian regime as anything approaching an Alawite
theocracy.

The Syrian regime, founded by Bashar’s father, Hafez al-Assad, was not
very different from many of the nationalist-military regimes that took
power in the Arab World in the 1950s and 1960s.  They were generally
anti-imperialist in orientation and aligned themselves with the then
Soviet Union.  These regimes tended not to be democratic internally
and were intolerant of dissent.  They were not religious in any
particular way, though in the case of Syria, the long-standing
persecution of the Alawites ended with the assumption of power by
Assad.

The Assad regime—both father and now the son—suffered from the same
crisis that Egyptian theorist Samir Amin has referenced regarding many
efforts in the global South.  These nationalist-populist projects
worked to transform and modernize their respective countries, but only
so far.  Though aligned with the Soviet Union, and in some cases
China, they were not committed to a thorough transformation of their
respective states, and certainly not a democratization.  One could
also see this in Qaddafi’s Libya, for instance.  The rhetoric of these
regimes, however, frequently confused outsiders, leading many
progressives in the global North to assume that regimes, such as
Assad’s, were on the side of progressive change whereas they were
increasingly repressive.

With the collapse of the USSR, Syria found itself in an ever more
complicated situation. It retained an alliance with Russia, through
which they were supplied advanced weaponry.  They had also constructed
an alliance with theocratic Iran against Saddam Hussein’s Iraq in the
1980s, the latter having been a bitter rival of Syria for leadership
of the Arab World.

Much as with Saddam Hussein’s regime, ideology drained away from the
Assad despotism as time went on, leaving only a regime seeking to
retrain power.  It is this regime that was confronted by a
pro-democracy movement in the context of the Arab Spring.

It is quite possible that Assad could have come to some sort of
compromise with the pro-democracy movement.  The Syrians, having
witnessed the Lebanese civil war, had no particular interest in a turn
toward armed struggle.  Instead, much like Qaddafi, Assad assumed that
he could squash the protest movement, and he attempted to do so quite
violently.

Try as they might, the pro-democracy movement, which was never under
the leadership of any one organization, found it difficult to retain a
commitment to non-violence.  This was especially the case once a new
factor entered the picture:  Saudi Arabia and Qatar.  As part of an
effort by ultra-conservative Sunni theocracies to both crush a secular
nationalist regime plus thwart the alliance between Syria and Iran,
Saudi Arabia and Qatar began to supply militaristic elements within
the anti-Assad coalition.  As Assad upped the ante through repression,
the military option became increasingly acceptable to elements within
the anti-Assad coalition.  In time various European countries entered
the picture, supporting the anti-Assad coalition and calling for the
introduction of military assistance.  The USA was, formally at least,
slow to enter the picture, though elements, largely in the Republican
Party, have been encouraging direct US military intervention (at a
minimum through a no-fly zone).  Ironically, the other force to enter
the picture against Assad have been the Sunni jihadists, some of which
are associated with Al Qaeda.

On the other side of the equation, Assad, increasingly isolated at
home, turned outward for support, including to Iran, Russia, and more
recently, the Hezbollah movement in Lebanon (the Shiite movement known
for its successful war against Israeli invaders in 2006).   Reports
have circulated that both Assad and the anti-Assad forces have used
chemical weapons.  Israel, nervous about instability on its northern
borders, has launched at least one attack against facilities under the
control of Assad allegedly due to the suggestion that weaponry was
being transferred to Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Which way is up?

The Obama administration has expressed an increasing amount of
pro-interventionist sentiment.  This has included recognizing the
anti-Assad forces as the legitimate leaders of Syria, followed by
alleged non-lethal assistance to the anti-Assad forces.  Republican
Senator John McCain, no surprise, has insisted that the USA should do
more, though no one is currently suggesting the deploying of US
troops, apparently having learned some lessons from the Iraq debacle.
In either case, the USA is certainly not an honest broker in the
conflict and is working covertly to oust the Assad regime.  At the
same time, they and Russia are discussing the possibilities of some
sort of peace agreement, though Russia continues to arm Assad.

Syria, then, has become something like Spain in its 1936-39 civil war,
i.e., a country that is not only carrying out a domestic struggle but
has become a focal point for a much larger conflict.  The USA should
have learned from its experiences in Iraq, and later Libya, that
fishing in troubled waters can bring with it very profound
consequences. The relatively sudden collapse of the Qaddafi regime in
Libya, for instance, with the direct involvement of NATO, resulted not
only in destabilization, but also the flooding of North Africa with
advanced weaponry from the Libyan armories.  Right-wing jihadists
enjoyed the benefits of the collapse of Qaddafi in ways that were
absolutely predictable, but were ignored by US policy makers.  The
situation in Syria is Libya…on steroids.

Iran sees itself a target of isolation by both the USA and Europe, but
also by the Sunni theocracies in the Arab/Persian Gulf region, and
thus continues to support Assad.  Efforts to overthrow Assad are
interpreted by the Iranians as efforts to further that isolation.
Russia sees efforts to remove Assad as weakening its own influence in
the region, including weakening its ability to have any impact on the
final resolution of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict.  The Sunni
theocracies, and their jihadists allies (and sometimes shock-troops)
see this situation as an excellent opportunity to not only isolate
Iran, but to also crush progressive, secular democratic mass
movements, which would actually be the net effect of a victory by
either side, ironically enough.

The USA needs to pull back; it is already too involved.  To the extent
to which it can work with Russia towards a negotiated settlement of
the conflict, that would be positive.  But further actions on behalf
of the anti-Assad coalition run the risks of additional blowback.

As I have noted elsewhere, interventions in civil wars are very risky
propositions.  A foreign intervention into a civil war brings with it
the peril that one side wins not because it has a stronger base but
because of outside assistance alone.  The result can be a very
unstable political arrangement that is entirely dependent on outside
forces in order to sustain itself.   Civil wars can be very bloody,
and in fact be among the most bloody of conflicts, but they ultimately
must be resolved by the people themselves.  Short of actual genocide,
e.g., Rwanda, foreign intervention must be restrained and all sides
need to be encouraged to get to the negotiating table.

We, in the USA, must not allow ourselves to be whipped into a frenzy
whereby we accept, if not encourage, greater US involvement in the
Syrian civil war.  To say this does not suggest that I am taking the
side of Assad.  To the contrary, Assad must go, but he must go as a
result of the actions of the progressive forces within Syria rather
than through a coalition more akin to a rogue’s gallery of nefarious
forces.

____________________

BlackCommentator.com Editorial Board member and Columnist, Bill
Fletcher, Jr., is a Senior Scholar with the Institute for Policy
Studies, the immediate past president of TransAfricaForum, and the
author of “They’re Bankrupting Us” - And Twenty Other Myths about
Unions. He is also the co-author of Solidarity Divided: The Crisis in
Organized Labor and a New Path toward Social Justice, which examines
the crisis of organized labor in the USA

------------------------------------
https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/reportsfeatures/the-curious-case-of-flight-syr602

The curious case of flight SYR602A SyrianAir flight not listed on the
departures board may regularly leave for Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
[image: SyrianAir]

Every other day for at least the past month, SyrianAir flight number 602
departs from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia in the middle of the night. It’s not
listed on the airport’s departures board, nor could any of the half-dozen
travel agents that NOW contacted book an interested passenger a seat.

In fact, only SyrianAir’s representative in Beirut could find a record that
the flight existed. Other travel agents were simply stumped.

“I’m sorry, sir, there is no flight 602.”

“But I see it,” NOW kept replying.

NOW first noticed the flight on the website
Flightradar24.com<http://www.flightradar24.com/> (call
sign SYR602). According to the “how it works” section of the webpage, the
site’s operators have “a network of about 500 ADS-B receivers around the
world that receives plane and flight information from aircrafts with ADS-B
transponders. [It then] sends this information to a server and displays
this information on a map” posted to
Flightradar24.com<http://www.flightradar24.com/>
.

Asked about the accuracy of the site’s information, an employee who only
identified himself as Mike told NOW in an email exchange: “if it shows up
in Jeddah, it has been there.”

The flight’s destination is unknown, but NOW has repeatedly monitored (on
the webpage) the plane travel north over Saudi Arabia before disappearing
near the Jordanian border. Flightradar24.com’s FAQ section explains that
“in most cases, the reason [a flight seems to disappear] is that the
coverage from the surrounding receivers has been lost. It can also be a
technical problem somewhere.”

To find out more, NOW contacted the General Authority of Civil Aviation in
Saudi Arabia last month. Spokesman Khaled Diabry at first was very helpful
when NOW asked for details about the flight. Diabry took the flight number
but said he could find no record of the flight.

He said he would check with the airport and asked NOW to call back. He has
since stopped answering his phone, and NOW has been repeatedly told that he
is simply unavailable.

Yaser al-Yousef, SyrianAir’s regional manager in Saudi Arabia, responded to
our email inquiries. He told NOW that “yes,” SYR602 is a regular commercial
flight. Asked why it never shows up on the departures board, Yousef said:
“Because [it’s an] *umrah* flight,” which he later clarified to mean a
flight specifically for pilgrims visiting Mecca outside of the *hajj*
 season.

Pressed on why a normal commercial flight would not be registered on the
departures board, Yousef said, “I don’t have more [information].” He
referred NOW to SyrianAir’s Damascus office, which has neither returned our
emails nor answered the phone.

Travel agents in both the UK and Beirut – who could find no record of the
flight and asked not to be named – told NOW that typically when a flight is
unlisted, it has been privately chartered. Agents could book NOW a ticket
on other flights out of Jeddah operated by SyrianAir, but repeatedly said
they found no record of flight 602.

In a final attempt for more information, NOW contacted the SyrianAir office
in Beirut in order to try booking a seat on the flight. NOW learned that
commercial flights between Jeddah and Damascus are available in the
afternoon, but the agent – who was uniquely able to find flight 602 in his
database – could not book a seat for the flight's middle-of-the-night
departure.

“It’s closed,” he said.

“Why,” NOW asked.

“I don’t know.”

https://now.mmedia.me/lb/en/interviews/the-syrian-opposition-in-moscow

The Syrian opposition in MoscowTalking to Dr. Mahmoud al-Hamza, head of the
Syrian National Council in Russia
[image: Syrians in Qatar protesting.]

Dr. Mahmoud
al-Hamza<http://www.syriancouncil.org/en/members/item/425-mahmoud-hamza.html>
is
the head of the Syrian National Council (SNC) in Moscow. He was born in
Hasaka, Syria, but moved to Moscow to obtain his PhD in Mathematics.
Al-Hamza worked as the Chief Researcher in the Department of Mathematics at
the Institute of Science and Technology, a division of the Russian Academy
of Sciences in Moscow. However, he was fired soon after becoming an active
member of the Syrian opposition, where al-Hamza helped to organize a series
of meetings between SNC members and officials from the Russian foreign
ministry.

NOW talked to al-Hamza about his meetings with Russia’s Foreign Minister
Sergei Lavrov, in addition to how SNC representatives tried to persuade the
Kremlin that its interests in Syria would not be harmed.

* *

*NOW: How many meetings were held between Syrian opposition members and the
Russian government?  *

* *

*al-Hamza*: I was part of all four committees that came to Moscow to meet
with the Russian Foreign Ministry. I also coordinated all the visits. The
first one was led by Radwan Ziadeh, Director of the Syrian Center for
Political and Strategic Studies. The second one was led by Dr. Ammar
Qurabi, President of the National Organization for Human Rights in Syria.
The last two meetings were between the Syrian National Council (led by
Burhan Ghalioun) and the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

* *

*NOW: What happened during these meetings?*

* *

*al-Hamza:* The first two meetings were informal, and we spoke to a
representative of President Vladimir Putin. The last two meetings were with
Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov. All of the meetings were about the
situation in Syria. We requested the meetings in order to clarify to the
Russians that what was occuring in Syria is a revolution - that the people
are against the regime. We explained the brutality of the regime, and what
our goals are. We presented our demands and told the Russians that we want
democracy and freedom. We stressed that we are neither against other
minorities in Syria, nor against Russia itself - in fact we consider Russia
a friendly country. We told Russian officials that they should stand by the
people, not the regime.

* *

*NOW: What did the Syrian opposition delegation offer in terms of Russia’s
interests in the region?*

* *

*al-Hamza:* The Russians know everything that’s happening in Syria - to the
smallest of details. We were there to guarantee that Russia's interests in
Syria would not be harmed.

We offered guarantees that we would cooperate with Russia to build a new
army and economy. But the officials responded that they are against any
international interference, including multinational armies and fighters. We
asked them to help us topple Bashar al-Assad, but they countered by asking
us to pursue negotiations because they don’t want to interfere. When we
asked them to stop supporting the regime with weapons, the Russians replied
that there were existing treaties between the two governments that they
were forced to abide by.

I found them to be extremely rude. Lavrov was trying to convince us that we
should negotiate. He asked the SNC delegation: “Are you with negotiations
or with the revolution?” When a representative replied that “we are with
the revolution,” Lavrov said “then expect a sea of blood.”

We told him not to give up on Syria, that we wanted Russia by the
opposition’s side. We asked, “We are not enemies, why you are pushing the
Syrians to burn the Russian flag?”

* *

*NOW: What were your thoughts on Russia’s political stance?*

* *

*al-Hamza:* They refused to recognize any massacre caused by the regime.
But I was always hopeful, I believed in the need to cooperate with the
Russians.

* *

*NOW: Do you think the Russian government is really pushing for a
negotiated settlement?*

* *

*al-Hamza:* I am convinced that the Russian government is trying to buy
more time for the regime - they do not believe in a political settlement to
the conflict. They want to destroy the revolution and the people, and they
are doing nothing other than supporting the regime.

* *

*NOW:  What is the situation like for Syrian opposition members in Russia?*

* *

*al-Hamza*: I stopped all contact with the Russian government. After these
meetings, I felt unsafe in Moscow. A year and a half ago, I was also fired
at the request of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The Syrian opposition supporters in Moscow are under threat - they are
being followed and investigated. Plus, the Syrian embassy is allowed to do
whatever it pleases to its nationals in Russia.

* *

*NOW: Most European countries have restricted visas for Syrians, fearing
that they may seek asylum within the European Union. Does Russia have the
same policy?*

* *

*al-Hamza*: The Russian authorities are selling visas, each for hundreds of
dollars. The refugees who are coming here are regular people. We have
around 1,500 registered refugees in Russia. However, Syrian regime
supporters do not register as refugees. They live in big houses where
everything is provided for them. Over 50 Alawite students recently came to
universities in Moscow, all of them holding Russian passports.

*Yara Chehayed and Vivianne el Khawly contributed with translation.*

Syria Today: Opposition Repeats --- No Participation in International
"Peace"
Conference<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2013/6/9/syria-today-opposition-repeats-no-participation-in-internati.html>

 inShare

Sunday, June 9, 2013 at 13:15 | Scott
Lucas<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/author/scott-lucas>
 in EA Live <http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/category/ea-live>, EA
Middle East and
Turkey<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/category/ea-middle-east-and-turkey>
, Middle East and
Iran<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/category/middle-east-and-iran>

<http://twitpic.com/cw90pd>

*Government forces move through Qusayr, captured by the Syrian military
last Wednesday*

*Syria Feature: Jabhat al-Nusra, Al Qaeda, and the Islamic State of
Iraq<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2013/6/9/syria-feature-jabhat-al-nusra-al-qaeda-and-the-islamic-state.html>

Middle East Today: Libya --- At Least 25 Killed in Clashes Between
Protesters and Government-Backed
Militia<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2013/6/9/middle-east-today-libya-at-least-25-killed-in-clashes-betwee.html>

Saturday's Syria Today: UN Appeal on "Record" Aid for Syrians ---
Significant Step or Meaningless
Gesture?<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2013/6/8/syria-today-un-appeal-on-record-aid-for-syrians-significant.html>
<*
------------------------------
*

The opposition Syrian National Coalition has reiterated its refusal to
participate in a proposed international conference.

"What is happening in Syria today completely closes the doors on any
discussions about international conferences and political initiatives,"
George Sabra, Coalition, told a press conference in Istanbul. "The war
declared by the regime and its allies in the region has reached a level we
cannot ignore."

Last week, regime force and Hezbollah allies captured the town of Qusayr,
near the Lebanese border, after a three-week siege and then re-claimed
nearby villages.

Sabra said just before those developments that the opposition would not
attend a peace conference while Iranian elements and Hezbollah were
supporting Syrian troops on the ground.

Before that, the Coalition had set the departure of President Assad as a
pre-condition for any talks about a political resolution and transitional
government.
*
------------------------------

*Photo: Pro-Hezbollah Demonstrators Attack Bus In Beirut*

Following our earlier
report<http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2013/6/9/syria-today-opposition-repeats-no-participation-in-internati.html#lebanon>
about
clashes on Sunday near the Iranian embassy in Bir Hassan, southern Beirut
over the roles of Iran and Hezbollah in Syria image from an incident, the
image below show pro-Hezbollah demonstrators attacking a bus carrying
anti-Hezbollah demonstrators in front of the embassy.

*Insurgents Kill Iraqi Border Guard*

Iraqi officials say that Syrian insurgents on Sunday opened
fire<http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/73563.aspx> on
two Iraqi border posts, killing one guard and wounding two others.

Colonel Nayif Zaili said Syrian rebels fired on two posts which lay two
kilometres from the Al-Waleed border crossing.

The Syrian side of the crossing remains under the control of the regime,
despite attempts by insurgents to seize it for several months.

*State TV: Documents Show Qatar Asked Insurgents to Defend Qusayr to
Protect Israel*

*1 Dead Amid Anti-Hezbollah Protests in Beirut*

An unarmed Lebanese man has been
killed<http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Local-News/2013/Jun-09/219818-several-injured-outside-iranian-embassy-in-beirut.ashx#axzz2ViKdJl6e>
after
groups clashed in southern Beirut following a protest over the roles of
Iran and Hezbollah in Syria.

The incident happened at about lunchtime near the Iranian embassy in Bir
Hassan, where demonstrators had gathered to challenge the Iranian and
Hezbollah support of the Assad regime.

Five others are said to have been injured in the shooting. It was not clear
who started the gunfire; however, a journalist for Beirut's Daily Star on
the scene reported "men in black shirts with yellow ribbons around their
arms" --- indicating they were from Hezbollah shoving protesters away from
the site as they exited buses. The protesters had little time to raise
their banners before they were beaten up with sticks.

The men in black shirts then opened fire in the air to disperse the
demonstrators.

Al Jazeera
reported<http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/06/20136910330195585.html>
that
the protesters against Iran and Hezbollah belong to the party of Ahmad
Asaad's party, a Shia politician who is anti-Hezbollah and belongs to the
March 14 Movement.

The Lebanese army is now reported to be in control of the area around the
embassy, with barricades set up on the road.

*Casualties*
The Local Coordination Committees claim that 33 people have been killed
today , including 20 in Damascus and its suburbs.

*Casualties*

The Violations Documentation Center
<https://www.vdc-sy.info/index.php/en/>reports
that 63,071 people have been killed in the Syrian conflict since March
2011, an increase of 98 from Saturday. Of the deaths, 48,690 were
civilians, a rise of 60 from yesterday.