------------------------------

Cryptome new public key <http://cryptome.org/#Cryptome PK>.

For secure connection use:
https://secure.netsolhost.com/cryptome.org/index.html

*2013-0618.pdf <http://cryptome.org/2013/06/guccifer-nnsa.pdf>
Guccifer Hacks DOE/NNSA                          June 11, 2013*
(2.8MB)*2013-0617.htm <http://cryptome.org/nsa-4th.htm>         NSA
and Fourth Amendment Rights 1999 Repost      June 11,
2013**2013-0616.pdf
<http://cryptome.org/2013/06/hersh-nyt-74-1222.pdf>         Sy Hersh
Reports "Massive Surveillance" 1974     June 11, 2013*
(1.1MB)*2013-0615.pdf
<http://cryptome.org/2013/06/hersh-massive-spy.pdf>         Analysis:
Sy Hersh "Massive Surveillance" 1974   June 11, 2013* (7.0MB)
*2013-0614.htm <http://cryptome.org/2013/06/wargaming-disclosures.htm>
        Wargaming Disclosures                            June 11,
2013**2013-0613.pdf <http://cryptome.org/2013/06/cia-angleton-ci.pdf>
ok      CIA James Angleton Report on Counterspying 1975  June 11,
2013* (3.0MB)*2013-0612.htm
<http://cryptome.org/2013/06/snowden-censored.htm>         Snowden
Censored by Craven Media                 June 10, 2013**2013-0611.pdf
<http://cryptome.org/2013/06/nsa-skunks-bogies.pdf>         How NSA
Mistakenly Began the Vietnam War /via <https://twitter.com/Asher_Wolf>
   June 9, 2013* (5.3MB)
*2013-0610.htm <http://cryptome.org/2013/06/we-steal-secrets-review.htm>
        We Steal Secrets Review                          June 9, 2013*

*-----------------*

The Section 215 Dragnet Started as Abusive Exigent Letter Practice
Wound Down
<http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/06/11/the-section-215-dragnet-started-as-abusive-exigent-letter-practice-wound-down/>
By: emptywheel <http://www.emptywheel.net/author/emptywheel/> Tuesday
June 11, 2013 8:30 pm

[image: Screen shot 2013-06-11 at 8.17.13 PM]
<http://www.emptywheel.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Screen-shot-2013-06-11-at-8.17.13-PM.png>Julian
Sanchez (who, if you’re not already following, you should, @normative)
just made an important observation
<https://twitter.com/normative/status/344599045572001792> about the
Section 215 collection that collects metadata on all phone calls every
day.

Carriers keep call detail records for years. No earthly reason to
demand DAILY updates just to preserve.

Thunk. The penny dropped.

In theory, no, there’s no reason to demand daily updates from the
telecoms. In fact, in theory, you could always just ask the telecoms
to conduct the kind of data analysis that is now being done by NSA.

But there’s a very good reason why they’re not doing it that way.

They tried. It was badly abused.

And they started moving away from that approach in March 2006,
precisely when we know the Section 215 program started.

Most of what we know about the exigent letters program comes from a
report DOJ’s Inspector General did in March 2007
<http://www.justice.gov/oig/special/s0703b/final.pdf> (my posts are
here
<http://www.emptywheel.net/2010/01/19/the-fbis-non-emergency-exigent-letters/>,
here <http://www.emptywheel.net/2010/01/20/the-exigent-letter-ig-report/>,
here
<http://www.emptywheel.net/2010/01/21/obama-gorging-himself-on-poison-fruit/>,
here
<http://www.emptywheel.net/2010/01/22/feingold-durbin-and-wyden-demand-the-olc-opinon-on-exigent-letters/>,
here <http://www.emptywheel.net/2010/02/15/the-exigent-letter-olc-opinion/>,
here
<http://www.emptywheel.net/2010/02/16/why-did-fbi-need-the-exigent-letters-olc-memo-background-post/>,
here
<http://www.emptywheel.net/2010/02/17/the-four-olc-opinions-retroactively-justifying-telecom-data-collection/>).
But the short version is that the NY FBI office set up an office to
have representatives of the three major telecom companies come in and
directly access their data with FBI Agents looking over their back. As
such, it’s probably similar to what PRISM accomplishes for internet
providers (except that an NSA employee rather than a telecom employee
does the search), and presumably akin to whatever NSA does with the
Section 215 dragnet information (which, after all, replicates the
telecom databases perfectly).

The problems — that that we know about from the unclassified report
(there are secret and TS/SCI versions which probably have bigger
horrors) — include:

   - FBI General Counsel had no apparent knowledge of 17% of the searches
   - Thousands of searches never got recorded
   - FBI lied to the telecoms about how urgent the information was to
get the information
   - FBI did an unknown number of sneak peeks into the data to see if
there was something worth getting formally

Altogether, the unclassified IG Report described 26 abuses that should
have been reported to then (and once again, since Chuck Hagel became
Defense Secretary) inoperable Intelligence Oversight Board.

That includes the tracking of journalist call records in at least
three cases (one of which I suspect is James Risen).

In short, it violated many legal principles. And that’s just the stuff
that actually got recorded and showed up in an unclassified report.

The Executive spent years trying to clean up the legal mess, with four
OLC opinions between November 8, 2008 and January 8, 2010
<http://www.emptywheel.net/2010/02/17/the-four-olc-opinions-retroactively-justifying-telecom-data-collection/>
making one after another argument to justify the mess.

And just as it became clear what a godforsaken mess all this was in
March 2006, they started using Section 215 to collect all call
records.

The effectively created the same databases that had been abused when
the FBI had telecom employees doing the work, to have NSA or FBI do
the very same work as well.

In short, the reason we don’t do what Sanchez is absolutely right we
should do — ask the telecoms for information as we need it — is it’s
not easy enough.

What I look forward to learning, though, is how having government
employees do the work that telecom employees — who at least were bound
by ECPA — avoids the same kind of abusive fishing expeditions.

Update: Here’s a description I wrote to summarize this 3 years ago.

*This IG Report was the third DOJ’s Inspector General, Glenn Fine, has
done on the FBI’s use of National Security Letters and “exigent
letters,” though this is the first to focus almost exclusively on
exigent letters. In 2003, the FBI installed representatives of AT&T
and (later) Verizon and MCI onsite, with computers hooked up to their
respective companies’ databases. Rather than using a subpoena or a
National Security Letter to get phone records from them (both of which
would have required a higher level of review), the FBI basically gave
them a boilerplate letters saying it was an emergency (thus the
“exigent”) and could they please give the FBI the phone data; the FBI
promised grand jury subpoenas to follow. Only, in many cases, these
weren’t emergencies, they never sent the grand jury subpoenas, and
many weren’t even associated with investigations into international
terrorism. In other words, FBI massively abused this system to get
phone data without necessary oversight. Fine has been pressing FBI to
either establish some legal basis for getting this data or purging it
from FBI databases for three years, and they have done that with some,
but not all, of the data collected. But the FBI has tried about three
different ways to bring this practice into conformity with legal
guidelines, all unpersuasive to Fine. The OLC opinion is the most
recent of these efforts.*

Also, here’s a timeline
<http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/06/11/exigent-letters-timeline/>.
- See more at: http://www.emptywheel.net/#sthash.s2pVly0G.dpuf - See
more at: http://www.emptywheel.net/#sthash.s2pVly0G.dpuf*
*

-------------------------
Section 702 Is Used for Terror, Proliferation, AND
Hacking<http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/06/10/section-702-is-used-for-terror-proliferation-and-hacking/>
By: emptywheel <http://www.emptywheel.net/author/emptywheel/> Monday June
10, 2013 6:42 pm

The AP has a
story<http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NSA_PHONE_RECORDS_INSIDE_NSA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-06-10-04-34-19>
about
the way algorithms control Section 702, the legal program for which PRISM
provides NSA analysts acces.

And while he also admits that Obama “had expanded the scope of the
surveillance,” Michael Hayden makes this false claim (which he actually said
on
FNS<http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-news-sunday-chris-wallace/2013/06/09/government-surveillance-unconstitutional-reaction-sens-rand-paul-ron-johnson-and-gen#p//v/2464941025001>
).

Michael Hayden, who led both the NSA and CIA, said the government doesn’t
touch the phone records unless an individual is connected to terrorism.

He described on “Fox News Sunday” how it works if a U.S. intelligence agent
seized a cellphone at a terrorist hideout in Pakistan.

“It’s the first time you’ve ever had that cellphone number. You know it’s
related to terrorism because of the pocket litter you’ve gotten in that
operation,” Hayden said. “You simply ask that database, `Hey, any of you
phone numbers in there ever talked to this phone number in Waziristan?’”

Here’s how I know this is absolutely false (aside from the language of
Section 702 <http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr6304/text> that
clearly allows it to be used for foreign intelligence generally so long as
it is targeted — which is one of those tricky words– at people not known to
be in the US).

Director Clapper — who admittedly engages in least untruthfuls that are too
cute by half — claimed
this<http://www.dni.gov/files/documents/Facts%20on%20the%20Collection%20of%20Intelligence%20Pursuant%20to%20Section%20702.pdf>
as
one of the successes in Section 702.

Communications collected under Section 702 have provided significant and
unique intelligence regarding potential cyber threats to the United States,
including specific potential network computer attacks. This insight has led
to successful efforts to mitigate these threats.

Don’t get me wrong. Using this kind of collection for foreign cyberattacks
is entirely appropriate. Indeed, it is probably the very best use of the
tool, since it’s it’s a lot easier to engage in cyberattacks — particularly
if you’re overseas — using the Internet, whereas the most dangerous
terrorists can and no doubt increasingly will find other means to
communicate.

So it’s not that I object to using this program to target Chinese hackers.
But as you consider the 51% standard that, according to Edward Snowden, NSA
analysts have to meet, or if you consider how
easily<https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/51-foreign-test-doesnt-protect-americans/>
signals
taken from any major US-based coverage can meet that 51% standard,
understand that NSA is much more likely to make a “mistake” in its
geographic screens for American hackers than for American Islamic
extremists.

We’ve heard nothing but TERRA TERRA TERRA since these leaks first started.
And every time you hear that, you might ask what it would mean if they also
mean hacker.
- See more at: http://www.emptywheel.net/#sthash.s2pVly0G.dpuf
**

If Wanting to Reveal that All Americans’ Metadata Gets Swept Up Is Treason,
Edward Snowden Is in Distinguished
Company<http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/06/10/if-wanting-to-reveal-that-all-americans-metadata-gets-swept-up-is-treason-edward-snowden-is-in-distinguished-custody/>
By: emptywheel <http://www.emptywheel.net/author/emptywheel/> Monday June
10, 2013 9:50 pm

Earlier this evening, Dianne Feinstein
called<http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill/policy-and-strategy/304573-sen-feinstein-snowdens-leaks-are-treason>
Edward
Snowden’s decision to leak NSA documents an act of treason.

“I don’t look at this as being a whistleblower. I think it’s an act of
treason,” the chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee told
reporters.

The California lawmaker went on to say that Snowden had violated his oath
to defend the Constitution.

“He violated the oath, he violated the law. It’s treason.”

Perhaps DiFi can be excused for her harsh judgment. After all, in addition
to exposing the sheer range of surveillance our government is doing,
Snowden made it very clear that DiFi
allowed<http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/06/10/james-clapper-hails-separation-of-powers-while-excusing-lie-as-too-cute-by-half/>
Director
of National Intelligence James Clapper to lie to her committee.

And continues to allow Clapper’s lie to go unreported, much less punished.

But I thought it worthwhile to point out the many people who have committed
to make the FISA Court Opinions describing, among other things, how the
government’s abuse of Section 215 violated the Constitution.

In 2010, DOJ promised to try to declassify important rulings of law.

In 2010, as part of the same effort, Clapper’s office promised to try to
declassify important rulings of law.

In 2011, prior to be confirmed as Assistant Attorney General, now White
House Homeland Security Advisor Lisa Monaco
promised<http://blogs.fas.org/secrecy/2013/06/surveillance-legitimacy/>,
“I will work to ensure that the Department continues to work with the ODNI
to make this important body of law as accessible as possible.”

All these people claimed they wanted to make FISC’s opinion, among other
things, on the secret use of Section 215 public.

What Snowden released on Section 215 — just a single 215 order to
Verizon<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2013/jun/06/verizon-telephone-data-court-order>,
without details on how this information is used — is far, far less than
what DOJ and ODNI and Lisa Monaco pledged to try to release. Given that the
collection is targeted on every single American indiscriminately, it won’t
tell the bad guys anything (except that they’ve been sucked into the same
dragnet the rest of us have). And while it shows that FBI submits the order
but the data gets delivered to NSA (which has some interesting
implications), that’s a source and method to game the law, not the source
or method used to identify terrorists.

So if Snowden committed treason, he did so doing far less than top members
of our National Security establishment promised to do.

Wait.

There’s one more member of this gang of — according to DiFi —
*traitors* committed
to tell Americans how their government spies on them. There’s the Senator
who said this <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/R?r112:FLD001:S58398> on
December 27, 2012.

I have offered to Senator *Merkley* to write a letter requesting
declassification of more FISA Court opinions. If the letter does not work,
we will do another intelligence authorization bill next year, and we can
discuss what can be added to that bill on this issue.

Oh, wait! That was Senator Dianne Feinstein, arguing that they didn’t have
time to pass an actual amendment, attached to the actual FISA Amendments
Act renewal, forcing the government to turn over this secret law.

*But she promised to write a letter!*

And even, DiFi claimed (though similar promises to John Cornyn to obtain
the OLC memo authorizing Anwar al-Awlaki’s killing went undelivered), to
include a requirement in this year’s intelligence authorization requiring
the government to turn over far more information on the government’s use of
Section 215 than Snowden did.

I get that DiFi doesn’t agree with his method — that he leaked this rather
than (!) write a letter. I get that Snowden has exposed DiFi for allowing
Clapper lie to her committee, in part to hide precisely this information.

But in debates in the Senate, at least, DiFi has claimed to support
releasing just this kind of information.

- See more at: http://www.emptywheel.net/#sthash.s2pVly0G.dpuf

ACLU, Another Civil Liberties Narcissist, Defends Its Own Freedom of
Assembly,
Speech<http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/06/11/aclu-another-civil-liberties-narcissist-defends-its-own-freedom-of-assembly/>
By: emptywheel <http://www.emptywheel.net/author/emptywheel/> Tuesday June
11, 2013 3:50 pm

Since the Edward Snowden leaks first started, many have called him and
Glenn Greenwald narcissists (as if that changed the dragnet surveillance
they exposed).

If that’s right, I can think of nothing more narcissistic than ACLU, which
is a Verizon customer,
suing<http://www.aclu.org/national-security/aclu-files-lawsuit-challenging-constitutionality-nsa-phone-spying-program>
the
government for collecting their call records and chilling their ability to
engage in activism.

The American Civil Liberties Union and the New York Civil Liberties Union
today filed a constitutional challenge to a surveillance program under
which the National Security Agency vacuums up information about every phone
call placed within, from, or to the United States. The lawsuit argues that
the program violates the First Amendment rights of free speech and
association as well as the right of privacy protected by the Fourth
Amendment. The complaint also charges that the dragnet program exceeds the
authority that Congress provided through the Patriot Act.

“This dragnet program is surely one of the largest surveillance efforts
ever launched by a democratic government against its own citizens,” said
Jameel Jaffer, ACLU deputy legal director. “It is the equivalent of
requiring every American to file a daily report with the government of
every location they visited, every person they talked to on the phone, the
time of each call, and the length of every conversation. The program goes
far beyond even the permissive limits set by the Patriot Act and represents
a gross infringement of the freedom of association and the right to
privacy.”

Here’s the complaint<http://www.aclu.org/files/assets/nsa_spying_complaint.pdf>
.

In addition to this suit, Jeff Merkley and others are submitting a
bill<http://www.merkley.senate.gov/newsroom/press/release/?id=5D5997D9-4BA1-46C3-BA86-D208EC82A31E>
force the government to release its secret law.
- See more at: http://www.emptywheel.net/#sthash.s2pVly0G.dpuf - See more
at: http://www.emptywheel.net/#sthash.s2pVly0G.dpuf - See more at:
http://www.emptywheel.net/#sthash.s2pVly0G.dpuf