 First of all, Israel was not opposed to Assad. He has been more or less
the kind of dictator they wanted. (Photo: Marwan Bu Haidar)

By: Maha Zaraket <http://english.al-akhbar.com/author/maha-zaraket>

Published Sunday, June 16, 2013

*American author and professor Noam Chomsky was in Beirut to give a
commencement speech and accept an honorary degree at the American
University of Beirut. Al-Akhbar interviewed this critic of American
imperialism about the ongoing conflict in Syria, Edward Snowden, and what
is left of the “Arab Spring.”*

*Maha Zaraket*: What is the title of your [commencement] speech?

*Noam Chomsky*: I do not remember if it has a title, but it is going to be
some comments on legitimacy of borders and states and possibilities of
eroding them.

*MZ*: Do you think the Middle East is going through a rewrite of
Sykes-Picot agreement?

I have spent a lot of time looking through the classified documents in the
US, which is maybe the freest society, most of the documents are classified
to protect the government against its own population and not for security
reasons.*NC*: I think the Sykes-Picot agreement is falling apart, which is
an interesting phenomenon. That is a century. But, the Sykes-Picot
agreement was just an imperial imposition that has no legitimacy; there is
no reason for any of these borders – except the interests of the imperial
powers.

It is the same all over the world. it is hard to find a single border that
has any justification, including the US-Mexico border and the US-Canada
border. You look around the world, just about every conflict that is going
on results from the imposition of imperial borders that have nothing to do
with the population.

I think as far as Sykes-Picot is concerned, it is beginning to erode.
Whatever happens in Syria – it’s hard to imagine – but if anything
survives, parts of Syria will be separated. The Kurdish areas are almost
autonomous now and they are beginning to link up with the almost-autonomous
parts of Northern Iraq Kurdish areas, and may spill over to some extent to
southeastern Turkey. What will happen in the rest of the country is hard to
say.

*MZ*: Do you think the new borders will be made by the local population? Or
new imperialisms?

*NC*: I wish that were true, but that is not how the world works. Maybe
someday, but not yet, not today.

*MZ*: What do you think of the Hezbollah intervention in Syria?

*NC*: They are in a very difficult position. If the rebels win in Syria,
they become very exposed. That may mean their demise. There is reason
behind it, I am not sure this is the right one, you could argue about it,
but it is understandable.

*MZ*: Are you going to meet Nasrallah this time?

*NC*: No, I do not know if it is possible. But it is deeply in mind. It is
difficult.

*MZ*: If you meet him again, what would you tell him?

*NC*: I would like to meet him, but just to find out more about their
thinking and their plans. They are not coming to me for advice. You know.

*MZ*: You called for support of the Turkish protesters. How do you see the
uprising in Turkey?

*NC*: I think the [Taksim demonstrators] are doing a great thing. I think
it is extremely important. Of global importance. The initial reaction of
the Erdogan regime was pretty similar to Mubarak and Assad: harsh brutal
response to a legitimate set of demands.

As of this morning, the latest news, which may or may not turn out to be
correct, there does seem to be some prospect of a peaceful settlement of
the conflict. The news that was leaked by the representatives of the
demonstrators, the Taksim negotiators, was that Erdogan has agreed to wait
for a court decision on the Gezi park construction, and if the court
authorized it, to have a referendum in Istanbul, which is quite different
from a national referendum. I think these are good steps forward if they
can be implemented.

*MZ*: Is it possible to link what is going on in Turkey to what been going
on in Syria for the last two years?

*NC*: I think what is going on in Turkey is part of a general uprising
throughout the world to harsh and autocratic economic and social policies
that have been imposed everywhere for the past generation. And there have
been reactions all over. Some of the reactions have been quite successful.

The most successful was Latin America. Latin America, for the first time in
500 years – it is not small, it has freed itself pretty much from Western
domination, mostly US domination in the last century. That is a star
development.

I think the Arab Spring was part of the same uprising. It is taking place
in Europe, within Europe, in the peripheral countries, in Greece, Spain,
and France, to an extent. Significant popular movements rising against the
really brutal austerity policies, which are driving Europe not to suicide,
but to disaster.

Europe is rich. It is not Syria, so it is not going to be suicide. But,
essentially the policies are aimed in the direction of...dismantl[ing] the
welfare state, which is one of Europe’s contribution to modern civilization.

*MZ*: Do you have any comments on the Edward Snowden Case?

*NC*: First of all, I think he has carried out a heroic act. That is the
proper act of a citizen to let people know what their government is doing.
For the most part, the public should know what their representatives are
doing. Of course, governments never want that. They want to operate in
secret.

I have spent a lot of time looking through the classified documents in the
US, which is maybe the freest society, most of the documents are classified
to protect the government against its own population and not for security
reasons. I think anyone who tries to lift the veil on this is doing the
right thing. In fact, the programs that the government was carrying out are
really illegitimate and it was correct to expose them. I think he is going
to suffer for it. You know. But it was the right thing to do.

*MZ*: After 9/11, the Americans asked, “Why does the rest of the world hate
us?” Is it possible for us to ask, why do the Americans hate us?

*NC*: I think it is kind of interesting...because the question was asked a
long time ago in 1958 when then-President Eisenhower asked his staff why is
there a campaign of hatred against us in the Arab world, and not from the
governments which are supportive, but from the population.

That same year, 1958, the National Security Council, the main planning
body, came out with a document – it has been in the public domain for four
years – in which they explained, they said that there is a perception in
the Arab world that the US supports dictatorships and blocks democracy, and
that we do it because we want to maintain control of their resources, their
energy supplies. [The document said] this is what we ought to be doing,
even though there will be a campaign of hatred against us.

That was 1958, and if you think of that year, that was right after
Eisenhower had forced Britain, France, and Israel out of Egypt, so you
might expect that there would not be a campaign of hatred, but there was.
And those were the perceived reasons and pretty much the right ones.

After 9/11 George W. Bush, raised the question, why do they hate us? They
hate our freedom and so on. The Pentagon Research Bureau did come out with
a study, and their conclusions were the same as the National Security
Council in 1958.

*MZ*: The second question: Why do they hate us? Why do the Americans hate
us?

*NC*: Why the Americans …? They don’t. Why the American population? The
American population does not have any idea about them.

*MZ*: American policymakers?

First of all, Israel was not opposed to Assad. He has been more or less the
kind of dictator they wanted. He has done the kind of things they wanted.*NC
*: For the reasons that the National Security Council discussed. You have
to block democracy and support dictatorships in order to control their
resources. And the Middle East is not different from anywhere else. Why did
they support Suharto in Indonesia? Same reasons.

*MZ*: What do you think of Israel?

*NC*: Israel made a really faithful decision in 1971. In 1971, Israel was
offered a full peace treaty by Egypt, nothing for the Palestinians, just
full peace, full security, for the withdrawal from the Egyptian Sinai.
Since then, it has been the same policy [of] expansion over security, but
it is not unusual to do that. That is what states usually do, they are not
concerned pretty much with security, but rather power. And that’s Israel’s
choice. It can continue because the US supports it. If the US stops
supporting it, it could not continue.

Israel is making extremely threatening remarks right now about Lebanon. I
am not sure if you have been following it. But it is kind of in the
background. They are not coming out with big public statements, but if you
read the statements from people in intelligence, the military, and
government, what they are saying publicly is that they are not going to
allow weapons to go to Hezbollah, but what they say furthermore, is that
they’ve learned the lessons of the last war, and they are not going to make
those mistakes again. The next time, the war will be over in days, which
means that they are going to wipe Lebanon out.

*MZ*: You don’t think the US will do anything to stop it at a certain level?

*NC*: Not under Obama. He’s the first US president who has imposed no
restrictions on Israel. Every other president, at various times, imposed
limits that Israel could not go beyond, like Reagan for example. Reagan
supported the invasion of Lebanon in 1982, but in mid-August he ordered
Israel to stop it because it was becoming harmful to US interests.

*MZ*: Would you link Obama’s decision to arm the Syrian revolution with
Israel?

*NC*: These are separate. First of all, Israel was not opposed to Assad. He
has been more or less the kind of dictator they wanted. He has done the
kind of things they wanted. The US has no opposition to Assad. He was
cooperating on intelligence and they did not like everything, but he was
pretty satisfactory.

In fact, if Israel and the US really did want to undermine the Assad regime
and to support the rebels, they have very straightforward ways to do it
without arms. Israel could considerably mobilize forces in the Golan
Heights. If they mobilize forces in the north, the Syrians are compelled to
respond by mobilizing forces. But they do not do it, which can only mean
they do not want the regime to fall.

*MZ*: Would you call the Arab Spring, the “Arab Spring,” or would you give
it another name?

*NC*: I think it was a good name. But now it is – I do not know if it is an
Arab Winter, but at least an Arab Autumn. I suspect there will another
spring…I do not think that is a stable situation, probably more of the
same. It seems to me a continuing process, and as I said, it is going on
all over the world in different forms.

*MZ*: Are you still optimistic?

*NC*: You do not really have a choice. Objectively, we will probably all be
under water in another generation or two, so not that it all matters, but
there are certain possibilities for hope and progress.

http://eaworldview.com/2013/06/18/syria-today-talk-and-little-else-at-g8-summit/
Syria Today: Talk and Little Else at G8 Summit
inShare

Photo: Barack Obama and Vladimir Putin at the G8 summit in Northern Ireland
(Kevin LeMarque/Reuters)

*Jump to Latest
Update<http://eaworldview.com/2013/06/18/syria-today-talk-and-little-else#latest-at-g8-summit/>
*

*As
expected<http://eaworldview.com/2013/06/17/syria-today-big-powers-talk-again/>,
Monday’s talks on Syria at the summit of the Group of 8 industrialised
countries produced rhetoric and little more.*

Russian President Vladimir Putin and US counterpart Barack Obama met,as the
leaders of the two countries proposing an international peace conference
but divided over key issues such as the future of President Assad.

At their press appearance, Putin
said<http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/06/2013617205126483102.html>,
“Our positions do not fully coincide, but we are united by the common
intention to end the violence and to stop the number of victims increasing
in Syria. We agreed to push the process of peace talks and encourage the
parties to sit down at the negotiation table, organise the talks in Geneva.”

*Obama said the US and Russia have a “different perspective” on Syria, but
asserted a shared interest in stopping the violence and securing chemical
weapons in the country.*

------------------------------

Latest Updates, From Top to Bottom
Casualties

The Local Coordination Committees claim tha 76 people were killed t  on
Monday, including 23 in Aleppo Province and 22 in Damascus and its suburbs.

The Violations Documentations Center
<https://www.vdc-sy.info/index.php/en> records
63,892 deaths since the start of the conflict in March 2011, an increase of
86 from Monday. Of the dead, 49,182 are civilians, a rise of 48 from
yesterday.
Regime Stresses Reconstruction of al-Qusayr

The Syrian regime is emphasizing reconstruction in al-Qusayr, after taking
control of the town — on the Syrian border with Lebanon and 35 km south of
Homs — from insurgent forces on June 5.

State media reported <http://sana.sy/eng/21/2013/06/17/487987.htm> on
Monday that Syria’s Deputy Prime Minister for Services Affairs, Omar
Ghalwanji, had announced an investment of 300 million Syrian pounds — in
the form of 100,000 SYP individual payments to locals — for reconstruction
efforts.

Footage of visit by regime officials to Qusayr on Monday to publicize
reconstruction efforts:

Those reconstruction efforts include restoring electricity and water
supplies to the town, as well as local hospitals and medical facilities —
projects that Iran has pledged to help with across Syria. ADD LINK.

*Why is the Syrian regime placing so much emphasis on reconstruction when
the conflict is ongoing?*

Reconstruction efforts are important for two major reasons.

First, by rebuilding towns like Qusayr, whose infrastructure is so badly
damaged by intense fighting, the regime can encourage citizens to return to
their homes, securing the town against incursions by insurgents and
reducing the likelihood of local unrest caused by internal refugees.

Second, by publicizing its investments into reconstruction, and by giving
local people large cash handouts to rebuild their homes, the Syrian regime
is gaining the support of local people. Iran — which has pledged to assist
Syria
<http://eaworldview.com/2013/06/18/iran-today-rouhani-draws-his-lines-carefully/#syria>with
more reconstruction projects across the country — is more than well aware
of the power that these actions have. Iran has invested enormous sums into
similar reconstruction projects into areas of southern Lebanon damaged in
the Second Lebanon War in 2006, building not only homes but also
infrastructure, gardens and mosques.
Hamas Calls for Hezbollah Withdrawal from Syria

The Palestinian organisation Hamas on Monday has
urged<http://news.yahoo.com/hamas-urges-former-ally-hezbollah-leave-syria-154307330.html>
Lebanon’s
Hezbollah to “withdraw its forces from Syria and keep its weapons directed
at the Zionist enemy (Israel)”.

Hamas said that sending forces to Syria “contributed to the sectarian
polarization in the region”.
Tehran Ups Reconstruction Projects In Syria As Damascus Signs Agreements on
Energy, Medicine, Food

Iran is to step up its reconstruction efforts in Syria, signing agreements
on Monday to rebuild electricity stations destroyed in the 27-month
conflict, according to Syrian State media.

Ahead of Ramadan, Tehran has also
pledged<http://sana.sy/eng/24/2013/06/17/488015.htm> to
send food, medicine, medical equipment and oil products to the Syrian
government.

The Iranian Foreign Minister’s Special Advisor for Economic Affairs, Hassan
Kazemi-Qomi — formerly Tehran’s Ambassador to Iraq — said that in addition
to agreements over health, oil, electricity, and foodstuffs, Tehran will
provide Assad’s government with a $3.5 billion credit line.

The announcement comes after Syrian Prime Minister Wael al-Halqi said
Sunday that Damascus had exempted Iranian products from customs duty, to
facilitate the flow of Iranian goods into Syria.

Iran has said
that<http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/world/2013-06/17/c_132459403.htm>
it
plans to carry out a range of development projects in Syria, including
constructing flour mills as well as constructing and reconstructing
electricity power plants.

Tehran’s reconstruction projects — facilitated in part by the Revolutionary
Guards — seek to bolster the Assad regime at a critical time as
temperatures rise this summer, electricity outages become more and more
common, and food shortages grow.
Obama Damps Down Talk of No-Fly Zones

President Obama has continued the public
retreat<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22947256#TWEET793074>
from
leaks that his Administration is considering no-fly zones, enforced by
American aircraft.

Obama told the US Public Broadcasting Service on Monday, “If you set up a
no-fly zone, that you may not be actually solving the problem on the
zone….We have to not rush into one more war in the Middle East.”

Last week, as news emerged that the US will start direct supplies of arms
to the insurgency, American officials told The Wall Street Journal that
plans were being circulated for a 25-mile no-fly zone in southern Syria,
backed up by US warplanes on Jordanian bases.
Syrian Pound Falls Almost 25% in A Day

The Syrian pound fell almost
25%<http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90777/8288331.html> —
from 170:1 to 210:1 — against the US dollar on Monday, as s rushed to
markets to buy basic food stuff and commodities.

Media reported a meeting among top Syrian officials and economists,
including the Governor of the Central Bank and exchange dealers. Prime
Minister Wael al-Halqi insisted that the Government has large reserves of
foreign exchange to provide all the needs of the Syrian market of imported
goods and production inputs.

Al-Halqi pronounced <http://sana.sy/eng/24/2013/06/17/488026.htm>, “The
great victories of the Syrian Arab Army in addition to the measures taken
by the government on all levels would gradually restore stability to the
Syrian pound and national economy.”

The Governor of the Central Bank, Adib Mayaleh, declared that the bank
would continue its policy of intervention to keep up the price of the
pound, insisting the rate of the dollar in the black market was “false and
illogical”.

“CBS will provide the exchanging institutions and the Commercial Bank of
Syria with the foreign currency by acceptable prices in order to meet the
citizens’ requests to buy the foreign currencies according to regulations
which sell each citizen an amount of 1000 Euro per month,” Mayaleh said,
according to SANA.

**

Economist Suleiman Suleiman was not so hopeful: “All solutions generated by
the economic kitchen, including the monetary fund and the Governor of the
Central Bank, have been of no avail.”