I spend over an hour and a half today (7/9/13) handcuffed and pushed up
against a cement wall by the Los Angeles Police.
A group of shopping centers in the Westchester area of the City of Los
Angeles – South of Manchester Blvd and both East and West of Sepulveda Blvds
(and owned by an entity called something like: “Drolinger …”) apparently has
a policy of preventing any homeless  person from asking for money in any
area of their shopping centers.
And such a policy is Illegal – see Robins vs. Prunyard etc. – But such a
policy is being enforced by the Drolinger Shopping Centers.
And at one of those shopping centers a homeless person was being told that
they had to leave the shopping center – because they were asking for money –
or they would be arrested.
Sooooooo I began asking for money at the shopping center.
The security guard said that the Trader Joe’s management had told him to
make the homeless person who was asking for money to leave the shopping
center.
I then began asking for money outside an outdoor seating and eating area at
the shopping center.
The security guard told me to stop or leave the shopping center. Then the
Trader Joe’s management told me to stop asking for money or to leave the
shopping center. Then a person who apparently a representative of the owners
of the shopping center told me to stop asking for money or to leave the
shopping center. Then the Los Angeles Police came and handcuffed me and
asked me questions etc. and got on their police radio and talked to people
and asked me if I was asking for money etc. (and I told the police that YES
I was asking for money.) And the Los Angeles Police kept me handcuffed for
over an hour and a half. But then they let me go – and told me that it was
Illegal for me to ask for money but they were not going to arrest me “this
time”. I asked them why they were not going to take me into the police
station and book me if it was illegal for me to ask for money – but the
police would not answer my question.
I think that We need to Fight Hard for the Right of the Homeless (and
Anyone) to ask for money at shopping centers – and of our rights to exercise
our Freedom of Speech at the shopping centers (i.e. commercial areas which
are not “stand alone” stores and places which are used by the public to
gather and interact and meet socially – in café’s etc.
I think that this is a VERY IMPORTANT fight for our Free Speech (and First
Amendment) Rights.
What do others think?
And I think that the Homeless Badly Need the Right to Ask for Money (without
threatening or harassing people etc) in All Free Speech areas.
What do others think?