*Brilliant: USA vs #NSA <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23NSA&src=hash>Animation
http://youtu.be/55D-ybnYQSs  <http://t.co/mT3EhoscPO>
*

worth a read: transcript of Professor Benkler evidence today in
#Manning<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Manning&src=hash>case on
importance of
#WikiLeaks <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WikiLeaks&src=hash> https://
pressfreedomfoundation.org/sites/default/files/07-10-13-AM-session.pdf
…<https://t.co/zwFutAjwJU>
*
*
*
*
https://pressfreedomfoundation.org/sites/default/files/07-10-13-AM-session.pdf
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*RELEASE: Statement read by Edward
#Snowden<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Snowden&src=hash>to human
rights groups at Moscow airport today
http://wikileaks.org/Statement-by-Edward-Snowden-to.html
…<http://t.co/HEpWd0QFaG>
#snowden <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23snowden&src=hash>
#nsa<https://twitter.com/search?q=%23nsa&src=hash>
#prism <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23prism&src=hash>
*
*
*

Edward Snowden Invokes Nuremberg in Defending His
Actions<http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/07/12/edward-snowden-invokes-nuremberg-in-defending-his-actions/>
By: emptywheel <http://www.emptywheel.net/author/emptywheel/> Friday July
12, 2013 11:24 am

Here’s his speech:

Hello. My name is Ed Snowden. A little over one month ago, I had family, a
home in paradise, and I lived in great comfort. I also had the capability
without any warrant to search for, seize, and read your communications.
Anyone’s communications at any time. That is the power to change people’s
fates.

It is also a serious violation of the law. The 4th and 5th Amendments to
the Constitution of my country, Article 12 of the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights, and numerous statutes and treaties forbid such systems of
massive, pervasive surveillance. While the US Constitution marks these
programs as illegal, my government argues that secret court rulings, which
the world is not permitted to see, somehow legitimize an illegal affair.
These rulings simply corrupt the most basic notion of justice – that it
must be seen to be done. The immoral cannot be made moral through the use
of secret law.

I believe in the principle declared at Nuremberg in 1945: “Individuals have
international duties which transcend the national obligations of obedience.
Therefore individual citizens have the duty to violate domestic laws to
prevent crimes against peace and humanity from occurring.”

Accordingly, I did what I believed right and began a campaign to correct
this wrongdoing. I did not seek to enrich myself. I did not seek to sell US
secrets. I did not partner with any foreign government to guarantee my
safety. Instead, I took what I knew to the public, so what affects all of
us can be discussed by all of us in the light of day, and I asked the world
for justice.

That moral decision to tell the public about spying that affects all of us
has been costly, but it was the right thing to do and I have no regrets.

Since that time, the government and intelligence services of the United
States of America have attempted to make an example of me, a warning to all
others who might speak out as I have. I have been made stateless and
hounded for my act of political expression. The United States Government
has placed me on no-fly lists. It demanded Hong Kong return me outside of
the framework of its laws, in direct violation of the principle of
non-refoulement – the Law of Nations. It has threatened with sanctions
countries who would stand up for my human rights and the UN asylum system.
It has even taken the unprecedented step of ordering military allies to
ground a Latin American president’s plane in search for a political
refugee. These dangerous escalations represent a threat not just to the
dignity of Latin America, but to the basic rights shared by every person,
every nation, to live free from persecution, and to seek and enjoy asylum.

Yet even in the face of this historically disproportionate aggression,
countries around the world have offered support and asylum. These nations,
including Russia, Venezuela, Bolivia, Nicaragua, and Ecuador have my
gratitude and respect for being the first to stand against human rights
violations carried out by the powerful rather than the powerless. By
refusing to compromise their principles in the face of intimidation, they
have earned the respect of the world. It is my intention to travel to each
of these countries to extend my personal thanks to their people and leaders.

I announce today my formal acceptance of all offers of support or asylum I
have been extended and all others that may be offered in the future. With,
for example, the grant of asylum provided by Venezuela’s President Maduro,
my asylee status is now formal, and no state has a basis by which to limit
or interfere with my right to enjoy that asylum. As we have seen, however,
some governments in Western European and North American states have
demonstrated a willingness to act outside the law, and this behavior
persists today. This unlawful threat makes it impossible for me to travel
to Latin America and enjoy the asylum granted there in accordance with our
shared rights.

This willingness by powerful states to act extra-legally represents a
threat to all of us, and must not be allowed to succeed. Accordingly, I ask
for your assistance in requesting guarantees of safe passage from the
relevant nations in securing my travel to Latin America, as well as
requesting asylum in Russia until such time as these states accede to law
and my legal travel is permitted. I will be submitting my request to Russia
today, and hope it will be accepted favorably.

Posted in FISA <http://www.emptywheel.net/category/fisa/>,
PATRIOT<http://www.emptywheel.net/category/patriot/>
, WikiLeaks <http://www.emptywheel.net/category/wikileaks/> | Tagged Edward
Snowden <http://www.emptywheel.net/tag/edward-snowden/> | *7*
Replies<http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/07/12/edward-snowden-invokes-nuremberg-in-defending-his-actions/#comments>NSA
Undermines Past Leaked Narrative about Edward Snowden with New
Ones<http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/07/12/nsa-undermines-past-leaked-narrative-about-edward-snowden-with-new-ones/>
By: emptywheel <http://www.emptywheel.net/author/emptywheel/> Friday July
12, 2013 11:17 am

The 21st paragraph of this 22 paragraph
article<http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsas-snowden-case-review-focuses-on-possible-access-to-china-espionage-files-officials-say/2013/07/11/9ba0f004-e9a1-11e2-8f22-de4bd2a2bd39_story.html>
on
what Edward Snowden may have taken from the NSA reads.

But that also made it easier for systems administrators such as Snowden,
whose job was to make sure the networks worked properly, to gain access to
files.

WaPo’s sources apparently have a different understanding of what NSA/Booz
paid Edward Snowden to do than the NYT, which
says<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/daily-report-snowden-trained-as-hacker-while-with-n-s-a-rsum-says/>
he
was a hacker, not a systems administrator.

Yet in spite of the effort to make Snowden seem like an innocuous systems
administrator, WaPo reports that based on a review of what Snowden “was
able to review within the agency’s systems,” the NSA is most worried that
Snowden will reveal how we hack into other countries’ networks, especially
those of the Chinese.

But the release of information on how the NSA has penetrated Chinese
networks would be especially damaging. “It’s not in the interests of the
United States for the Chinese to know exactly how we do it,” said a former
intelligence official. “It’s sources and methods.”

U.S. officials also fear that some of the documents Snowden has turned over
to journalists disclose NSA methods of hacking into overseas networks, and,
if published, will lead targets in other countries — in the Middle East,
Europe, East Asia and South Asia — to take new defensive actions.

And the article uses that word, hack, twice to refer to our actions (and
once to refer to China’s).

The article notes that Snowden has said, “he has no desire to publicize
information that describes the technical specifications or blueprints for
how the NSA has constructed its eavesdropping network.” So it points to the
files people like the Guardian (which it also notes refuses to publish
everything it has because the materials are sensitive) to create the
specter of a threat this will happen. (The story doesn’t mention WikiLeaks,
perhaps having learned its lesson after Walter Pincus had to make extensive
corrections to a story making unsupported allegations about WikiLeaks, but
I would bet that is the unspoken worry.)

In other words, the story confirms Snowden did not take any collected
intelligence, and that he knows what we suspect a paid NSA hacker would
know, but has not yet publicly leaked that (aside from very sketchy details
to the South China Morning Post), which is what the NSA most fears he might
leak. He has instead focused on the surveillance of individuals.

But in spite of the fact that that is what the article reports, that is
presented as reason to be terrified by Edward Snowden.

Spying on Americans: A “Team Sport” Since
2004<http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/07/11/spying-on-americans-a-team-sport-since-2004/>
By: emptywheel <http://www.emptywheel.net/author/emptywheel/> Thursday July
11, 2013 6:39 pm

[image: Screen shot 2013-07-11 at 6.25.06
PM]<http://www.emptywheel.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Screen-shot-2013-07-11-at-6.25.06-PM.png>One
of the more colorful revelations in today’s Guardian
scoop<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data>
is
the newsletter piece that describes increased sharing of PRISM (Section
702) data with FBI and CIA.

The information the NSA collects from Prism is routinely shared with both
the FBI and CIA. A 3 August 2012 newsletter describes how the NSA has
recently expanded sharing with the other two agencies.

The NSA, the entry reveals, has even automated the sharing of aspects
of Prism, using software that “enables our partners to see which selectors
[search terms] the National Security Agency has tasked to Prism”.

The document continues: “The FBI and CIA then can request a copy
ofPrism collection of any selector…” As a result, the author notes: “these
two activities underscore the point that Prism is a team sport!”

But that’s something that has actually been built into the program for
years. While the Joint IG Report <https://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/psp.pdf> on
the illegal wiretap program claimed,

NSA also was responsible for conducting the actual collection of
information under the PSP and disseminating intelligence reports to other
agencies such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Central
Intelligence Agency (CIA), and the Office of the Director of National
Intelligence (ODNI) National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) for analysis
and possible investigation.

The Draft NSA IG
Report<http://www.emptywheel.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/090324-Draft-NSA-IG-Report.pdf>
 explained,

*Coordination with FBI and CIA.* By 2004, four FBI integrees and two CIA
integrees, operating under SIGINT authorities in accordance with written
agreements, were co-located with NSA PSP-cleared analysts. The purpose of
co-locating these individuals was to improve collaborative analytic efforts.

And the minimization
procedures<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2013/jun/20/exhibit-b-nsa-procedures-document>
released
by the Guardian (which date to 2009), make it clear NSA can provided
unminimized content to CIA and FBI on whatever selectors they request.

6(c)

(1) NSA may provide to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) unminimized
communications acquired pursuant to section 702 of the Act. CIA will
identify to NSA targets for which NSA may provide unminimized
communications to CIA. CIA will process any such unminimized communications
received from NSA in accordance with CIA minimization procedures adopted by
the Attorney General, in consultation with the Director of National
Intelligence, pursuant to subsection 702(e) of the Act.

(2) NSA may provide to the FBI unminimized communications acquired pursuant
to section 702 of the Act. FBI will identify to NSA targets for which NSA
may provide unminimized communications to the FBI. FBI will process any
such unminimized communications received from NSA in accordance with FBI
minimization procedures  adopted by the Attorney General, in consultation
with the Director of National Intelligence, pursuant to subsection 702(e)
of the Act.

And none of that should be surprising, given the tasking slide — above —
that was first published by the
WaPo<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/prism-collection-documents/?hpid=z1>.
FBI, at least, is solidly in the midst of this collection, for a program
deemed to be foreign intelligence collection.

There have been a variety of claims about all this team sport
participation. But I’m not convinced any of them explain how all this works.

And in perhaps related news, the Fifth Circuit today
said<http://legaltimes.typepad.com/files/hasan-fisa.pdf> that
Nidal Hasan could not have access to the FISA material on him, in spite of
the fact that William Webster
published<http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/final-report-of-the-william-h.-webster-commission>
150 page report on it last year. Legally, that material should be utterly
distinct from PRISM, since a wiretap on Anwar al-Awlaki would require a
specific FISA warrant (and the latest Guardian scoop refers to expanded
cooperation since 2012). But I suspect the reason Hasan, the FISA evidence
against whom has already been extensively discussed, can’t see it is
because we would see what this actually looks like from the FBI side.

DOJ has to protect its team, you know.

The Evil Empire <http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/07/11/the-evil-empire/>
By: emptywheel <http://www.emptywheel.net/author/emptywheel/> Thursday July
11, 2013 2:38 pm

[image: Screen shot 2013-07-11 at 2.39.09
PM]<http://www.emptywheel.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Screen-shot-2013-07-11-at-2.39.09-PM.png>
The Guardian has its latest
scoop<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data>
on
NSA spying, describing the extent to which Microsoft helps the government
spy on its customers. This bullet list is just some of what the article
reveals.

   - Microsoft helped the NSA to circumvent its encryption to address
   concerns that the agency would be unable to intercept web chats on the new
   Outlook.com portal;
   - The agency already had pre-encryption stage access to email on
   Outlook.com, including Hotmail;
   - The company worked with the FBI this year to allow the NSA easier
   access via Prism to its cloud storage service SkyDrive, which now has more
   than 250 million users worldwide;
   - Microsoft also worked with the FBI’s Data Intercept Unit to
   “understand” potential issues with a feature in Outlook.com that allows
   users to create email aliases;
   - Skype, which was bought by Microsoft in October 2011, worked with
   intelligence agencies last year to allow Prism to collect video of
   conversations as well as audio;
   - Material collected through Prism is routinely shared with the FBI and
   CIA, with one NSA document describing the program as a “team sport”.

But I’m as interested in some of the details about the cooperation as the
impact of that cooperation.

For example, the story describes that this cooperation takes place through
the Special Source Operations unit.

The latest documents come from the NSA’s Special Source Operations (SSO)
division, described by Snowden as the “crown jewel” of the agency. It is
responsible for all programs aimed at US communications systems through
corporate partnerships such as Prism.

But we
saw<http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/06/29/yahoo-the-law-abiding-free-email-provider/>
that
when NSA approached (presumably) Microsoft in 2002, it did not approach via
SSO; it used a more formal approach through counsel.

In addition, note how Skype increased cooperation in the months before
Microsoft purchased it for what was then considered a hugely inflated
price<http://www.wired.com/business/2011/05/microsoft-buys-skype-2/>,
and what is now being
called<http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/28/us-cisco-microsoft-court-idUSBRE94R0N520130528>
(in
other legal jurisdictions) so dominant that it doesn’t have to cooperate
with others.

One document boasts that Prism monitoring of Skype video production has
roughly tripled since a new capability was added on 14 July 2012. “The
audio portions of these sessions have been processed correctly all along,
but without the accompanying video. Now, analysts will have the complete
‘picture’,” it says.

Eight months before being bought by Microsoft, Skype joined the Prism
program in February 2011.

According to the NSA documents, work had begun on smoothly integrating
Skype into Prism in November 2010, but it was not until 4 February 2011
that the company was served with a directive to comply signed by the
attorney general.

The NSA was able to start tasking Skype communications the following day,
and collection began on 6 February. “Feedback indicated that a collected
Skype call was very clear and the metadata looked complete,” the document
stated, praising the co-operation between NSA teams and the FBI.
“Collaborative teamwork was the key to the successful addition of another
provider to the Prism system.”

While this isn’t as obvious as Verizon’s MCI purchase — which for the first
time led that carrier to hand over Internet data — it does seem that those
companies that cooperate with the NSA end up taking over their rivals.

Remember, the Department of Commerce plays some kind of
role<http://www.emptywheel.net/2013/06/08/why-is-us-government-intrusiveness-on-network-defense-less-than-on-prism/>
in
ensuring that companies cooperate in protecting our critical infrastructure.