I think a most important point is the diff between Joe's corner market and
Ralph's and consciousness of that difference.

In '65 this lesson was kinda spontaneously developed as demonstrated by the
slogan "Soul Brother Owned".  A sign saying that placed in a shop's window
meant a decent chance of not being sacked.
http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-04/news/mn-951_1_watts-rebellion
Course this was 'spontaneously' learned during the transition period from
the civil rights struggle in the South to black militancy across the US and
therefore there was an ethos afoot. A revolutionary culture was in the acts
of forming. A culture that valued something even as it slashed right out
against almost everything about this system.  Today, nothing like that
exists save in infancy and only here and there.  And the greatest lesson of
the '50's and '60's (and, indeed, any revolutionary period) is how quickly
people can change.

Sure there are some small business people who treat the community dirty.
And "F'ck Them" too. A true story about '92 happened on Van Ness between
Slauson and 54th St. On the SE corner of Slauson was a liquor store owned
by Koreans. http://articles.latimes.com/2002/may/01/local/me-patt1  I was
in a habit then of buying a pack of cigarettes and a can or two of brew.
Anyway I stopped smoking cause my youngest was getting nosebleeds. I
stopped, she stopped. So I go to the store and put the beer on the counter
and the guy behind it--as was the matter of course--put a pack of Barclay's
down. I said “No, no, no. I stopped smoking.” He said “You stopped?” I
nodded. He said “Here, I'll give them to you free.” I left the beer on the
corner and never went back in there. His store was burnt. I could hear the
booze bottles bursting with heated pressure and enjoyed the song. At
54thand Van Ness there was (and is) a market then owned by a Korean
lady.
Though later, I am given to understand, killed in a robbery, she was a
person of grace who treated customer's right, gave credit and, I
understand, gave assistance when needed. That store was left alone with
neighbors helping to guard it. It suffered no damage at all.

In the main the neighborhood cleaners, corner markets, etc are not our
enemy and *should not be attacked.* Such are the livelihoods of independent
workers (those who own their tools of making a living but do not employ
wage-labor) and the petty petit-bourgeois (those who employ only a very few
wage-workers and who must work right alongside of them). These are not
Capitalists (with a large C) , i.e. those preventing us from working
because their profit made on our labor is not sufficient for them to employ
us. That and those are the enemy. That is a class lesson that the Left need
propagate among the people.