This appeared in our local Mountain Bulletin.
I thought it quite good. Paul

ON THE OTHER HAND
by Al Wasserman
The Wondering Jew

Even a cursory look a Jewish history reveals the forced migrations of
the Jewish people from one European country to another, concluding
with the German holocaust and the United Nations creating the state of
Israel.

The world's most well-known refugees had finally found a home. At
the time of Israel's statehood there were according to my encyclopedia,
one hundred thousand Arabs living in what was to be the new Israel
along with fifty thousand Jews.  This disproves the Zionist slogan,
"A people without a land and a land without people."

Boundaries were drawn by the United Nation for the beginnings of the
State of Israel which have long been in dispute.  One result of this was the
Seven Day War.  Israel won this war and in so doing extended its boundaries
further into the Arab lands of Syria, Lebanon and Egypt.  As the
Israeli army advanced, the Palestinians, fearing annihilation, left their
homes and farms and became refugees huddling just beyond the
advancing Israeli forces.  The Palestinians had been living on these lands
for countless generations and now they number 1.7 million destitute
and homeless people living on the West Bank and the Gaza.  Dozens
of their villages [over 400 actually] were completely destroyed during the
occupation.

Israel has refused to pay these people for their lost homes, farms and
businesses, passing laws that the occupied lands now belonged to Israel
and the Palestinians could not return to their former homes.  These
laws violate the United Nations Mandate, signed by Israel, which
proclaimed that no United Nations country could take another country's
land by invasion or by force.  On numerous occasions when the
United Nations voted to censure Israel for breaking its laws, the United
States vetoed the censure when all other voting members approved it.

These actions resulted in the forming fo the refugee camps crowding
together 1.7 million people in closer proximity than any other people in
the world, completely shut off from all trade except that which is
approved by Israel.

Given this series of events, perhaps it is inevitable that at times
some of the Palestinians would fire homemade rockets into Israel which
have killed five people.  In retaliation the Israeli air force in the past
months have killed one hundred and sixty-five people and wounded
hundreds more.

Of course both the government of Israel and the elected government
(Hamas) of the Palestinians say they are fighting defensive wars.  Each
has committed brutal and inhuman acts upon the other.  But the facts
are that there is only one army, air force and navy in this area and that
is the best trained and by far the best equipped military all belonging
to Israel.  It is truly a David and Goliath war with Israel playing the
part of the giant Goliath against the rock-throwing Palestinians!

How is it possible that a people who have for hundreds of years been
refugees wandering the world looking for a place for themselves, upon
achieving statehood, use their newfound powers to create these huge
refugee outdoor prisons?  With utter disregard for their own history
the government of Israel has recreated their own past by creating a
whole new class of world refugees.  As a people who believe themselves
to be "chosen of God" how can they possible treat their fellow human
beings this way?

Is it really beyond the creative capability of the Israelis to work out a
just arrangement with the Palestinians?  What part of the Torah (Old
Testament) would provide support for Israel's creation and maintenance
of these inhuman conditions that have existed for so long?  To
Hell with whose fault it is!  These are our fellow human beings deprived
of decent lives for political reasons.  It is time for the Jews of Israel to
exhibit their Judaism by doing the right thing.  The very meaning of
Judaism's six thousand year history is at stake.  Now is the time for
Israel to show the world what being a Jewish state really looks like.
Generosity and helpfulness will create safety for Israel in a way that
military might, arrogance and inhumanity never will.  As an American
Jew I refuse to support all of what Israel does simply because it is a
Jewish state.  On the contrary, I have become more critical of Israel's
inhuman treatment of Palestinians because, to a certain extent, whether
I like it or not, as it projects itself as a Jewish state I am emotionally
involved.  For me as an American Jew I must speak out or I will become
just like the Germans who did not speak out at all.

A new study group is forming to discuss my new book of 100 essays.
Please call 831-338-4233.