Support Our Friend Kwazi Nkrumah, Who Has Been Falsely Accused of Organizing a
Riot

Kwazi Nkrumah: Co-Chair, Martin Luther King Coalition of Greater Los Angeles:

FOR JOBS, JUSTICE AND PEACE - NOT WAR, POVERTY AND PRISONS

www.mlkcoalitionforjobsjusticeandpeace.org

Dear Friends,

I have known Kwazi for over 12 years now. He is a great activist and a
wonderful person.  I have the highest respect for him.

I am not sure what date this happened. I know it was very recently.

Come to show support your for Kwazi this Wednesday, October 9th, 9:30 AM at the
LA City Attorney's Office - 312 South Hill Street, Los Angeles - 2nd Floor.

In Peace,

Frank Dorrel

Message from Kwazi Nkrumah: kwazinkru...@aol.com

Victory in Long Beach Superior Court Yesterday: The main charges against me
from the Occupy the Ports action in December of 2011, plus a totally false
"failure to appear" charge which was added later, were dropped by the Long
Beach Prosecutor's office yesterday. In exchange for 8 hours of community
service, the 2 minor misdemeanor charges remaining will be dismissed. Thanks to
all my friends from Occupy and the community who supported me!

Now, on to the "organizing a riot" charges in L.A. I invite all supporters who
can to come down to the LA City Attorney's Office, Wednesday, October 9th, 9:30
AM. The address is 312 South Hill Street, Los Angeles, 2nd floor - to protest
the attempt to classify non-violent protests as "riot-making", as well as the
recent decision of City Attorney Mike Feuer (a so-called "liberal") to impose a
gang injunction on Echo Park against the will of the Neighborhood Council and
the majority of residents living there. Please join us if you can!  -- Kwazi
Nkrumah, Co-Chair, Martin Luther King Coalition of Greater Los Angeles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sent from Dorothy Reik: dorothyr...@pdsmm.org

Unbelievably our friend Kwazi Nkrumah, has been accused of starting a riot when
he participated in a peaceful demonstration in Los Angeles.  I hope you will
join me in writing a letter to Mike Feuer expressing your objections!  Last
night at our Gasland showing we discussed the part of the film dealing with
Psyops and John Cromshaw asked if I had experienced it - I said yes - Occupy
was destroyed by psyops - convincing the public that Occupy participants were
criminals - separating the middle class supporters from the others by
portraying them as criminals and treating them so harshly that middle class
participants were frightened away.  Now they are calling peaceful protests
"riots". A message from Kwazi is below.  Please copy him on any messages to
Feuer. You can e-mail me your letters and I will print and fax them.  I will
send a letter from PDSMM if no one objects.  If you can go to Feuer's office to
support Kwazi please go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Activist Kwazi Nkrumah Arrested at Long Beach Port

By  <http://www.laprogressive.com/author/sharon-kyle/> Sharon Kyle of LA
Progressive

www.laprogressive.com/kwazi-nkrumah-arrested

Occupy Activist Arrested

This morning, one of our readers contacted the LA Progressive to report that
long-time activist, Kwazi Nkrumah, had been arrested in Long Beach where the
Occupy Movement was gathering as part of “Occupy the Ports”, a coordinated West
Coast port shutdown.

I met Kwazi several years ago in law school and have grown to respect and
admire him for his unyielding commitment to public interest causes. Kwazi
Nkrumah is nationally respected as a community organizer and labor activist.
Long before there was an Occupy movement, Kwazi was leading campaigns against
mortgage foreclosures in Maryland and California and fought on many fronts in
the labor movement. Recently, Kwazi and his partner, Sabina Virgo, have been
leading an effort in Los Angeles to support families who are losing their homes.

I contacted Sabina this afternoon and learned that the Long Beach police
arrested Kwazi at approximately 8 a.m. this morning – a full hour before the
police issued an order to disperse to the crowd that was assembling at the
port. When I spoke with Sabina at approximately 3 p.m. today, she told me she
had had two telephone conversations with Kwazi since his arrest. She said he is
being held in Long Beach on $10,000 bail.

I asked about the conditions at the jail. Sabina said that Kwazi told her that
he was warm and dry — on this rare cold, rainy day in Southern California.
Unfortunately, although bail has been set, Sabina learned that Kwazi cannot be
released until the Long Beach Police Department completes its procedural
requirements, which include contacting other law enforcement agencies and
getting some form of clearance from them. Sabina seemed to think that might not
be complete until Wednesday.

According to Sabina, Kwazi was arrested along with another man whose identity
she did not know. The arresting officers booked him on three charges :

*       resisting arrest;
*       walking in the street; and
*       not following the lawful orders of a police officer.

Unlike many of the protestors who willing to be arrested and are often fully
prepared to be arrested, Kwazi had not anticipated his arrest. In fact, he was
scheduled to be interviewed today on “ <http://uprisingradio.org/home/>
Uprising,” a KPFK radio program hosted by  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPFK>
Sonali Kolhatkar. When he was unavailable for the interview, Kolhatkar
announced the arrest. The news of Nkrumah’s arrest spread like wildfire through
the progressive community — reportedly igniting a greater sense of solidarity
among the Occupiers at the port.

According to Sabina, public interest attorney, Carol Sobel, of the National
Lawyers Guild, has been contacted. Since the inception of the movement, the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lawyers_Guild> National Lawyers Guild
has been an ardent supporter of the Occupy Movement providing
<http://www.nlg.org/occupy/> National Occupy Protest Support hotlines and
various other services including legal representation to occupiers who have
been arrested.

UPDATE: At about 6:15 pm activist and reporter Linda Milazzo informed me that
Kwazi was released on his own recognizance and was on his way home. Stay tuned.

Sharon Kyle
Publisher