"the Nobel Prize of agriculture."

Subject: Monsanto
From:    "Claiborne D., SumOfUs.org" <u...@sumofus.org>
Date:    Mon, 7 October, 2013 11:58 am
To:      "Scott Peden" <scotpe...@cruzio.com>

      Monsanto & Syngenta executives will soon be rewarded with The World
Food
   Prize, a prestigious award known as "the Nobel Prize of agriculture."

   Tell The World Food Prize Foundation not to reward these awful companies.

                   [1]Sign the Petition[2]Share on Facebook.

   Scott,

   In an obscene development, a Monsanto executive is winning this year's
   "Nobel Prize of agriculture" -- the prestigious World Food Prize -- for
   creating GMOs. Receiving it legitimizes the sort of rampant genetic
   modification Monsanto pioneered, and helps validate a ruthless business
   model that impoverishes farmers and monopolizes our food.

   If that wasn't baffling enough, the founder of Syngenta, the same biotech
   giant joining Bayer in suing Europe to keep selling bee-killing
   pesticides, will also win the prize -- and with it, a share of the
   $250,000 prize money. We cannot allow this prize to legitimize
   frankenfoods and bee killers. The ceremony is in just over a week, so we
   need to act now.

   [3]Tell the World Food Prize Foundation not to reward Monsanto and
   bee-killer Syngenta's outrageous practices.

   Winning this prize will encourage the wider use of genetically engineered
   crops and be a huge obstacle to those fighting to investigate the
   long-term effects of its frankenseeds -- which is exactly what Monsanto
   wants. In 2008, Monsanto made a $5 million pledge to the World Food Prize
   Foundation, part of its plan to buy the credibility it can't legitimately
   earn. By handing its benefactor this award, the Foundation risks
   undermining the credibility of the most respected prize in agriculture.

   In protest, 81 Councilors of the World Future Council have penned a
   statement blasting the World Food Prize Foundation for betraying its
   purpose. In the words of the esteemed authors: "GMO seeds reinforce a
   model of farming that undermines sustainability of cash-poor farmers, who
   make up most of the world's hungry... The most dramatic impact of such
   dependency is in India, where 270,000 farmers, many trapped in debt for
   buying seeds and chemicals, committed suicide between 1995 and 2012."

   Despite the criticism, Monsanto and Syngenta executives are set to receive
   their prize on World Food Day, October 16 -- a slap in the face to
   everyone harmed by their products. We don't have much time, so we need to
   publicize this obscene decision -- if enough of us get word of this out,
   and let people know the World Food Prize is threatening its reputation, we
   can shame it into choosing a more suitable candidate.

   [4]Genetically-modified crops do not deserve the highest praise. Don't
   reward Monsanto and Syngenta.

   Thanks for all that you do,
   Claiborne and the rest of us.

   P.S. [5]Please share this campaign on Facebook

   More Information:

   [6]And The Winner Of The World Food Prize Is ... The Man From Monsanto,
   NPR, 19 June 2013
   [7]Choice of Monsanto Betrays World Food Prize Purpose, Say Global Leaders
   , NPR, 26 June 2013