Security updates are not something you can opt out of. Most concretely: we have to keep our physical hardware secure and up-to-date, and rebooting a physical virtualization node has the side-effect of cycling power on the resident VMs.

Even if it weren't a natural consequence of our own maintenance, though, I would still be rolling out these updates. Foundation staff can't engage in total supervision of all Labs use or activity but we are, nonetheless, effectively responsible for any malicious activities that might originate from within our cluster. Naturally we need to take whatever general measures we can to prevent Labs from turning into a spam farm. When a staff of three is managing more than 700 VMs we are always going to have to rely on general one-size-fits-all maintenance solutions.

In almost all cases it is trivial or near-trivial to set up a service so that it recovers gracefully from a reboot. If the few minutes of downtime that result are unacceptable, we can provide resources for a fail-over instance and ensure that the two instances are spread out on different virt hosts so that they don't both go down at once. Let me know if you need help with either of the above!

-A