David Crossley wrote:

> I request a new lab to investigate building a tool to generate new words.
>
> Purpose:
>
> Generate new words by applying a caesar cipher to existing words.

Thanks. I count four +1 from PMC members, plus one more.

I will create the svn space, etc.

Before importing the initial program code, would someone
please help me understand the "Handling Cryptography ..."
requirement.

IIUC, then going by the list of points at:
http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html#classify
this lab would not need a notification, as its
symmetric algorithm key length, is less than 56-bits.

I am no crypto expert, so i am not even sure what is
meant by "key length" in this case.

The program uses a "monoalphabetic substitution cipher"
i.e. the cipher alphabet is fixed for the whole process.

It enables a specified number of characters to offset
along the alphabet, which is fixed for the whole process.

There are 21 consonants, so with an offset of 21 the
consonants are the same as their original value.
However, the vowels in that operation will be effectively
offset by one.

So what is the key size? Is it "1"?

-David