If you're using the latest Ubuntu version (9.10 - karmic koala) there is a missing dependency (a python library is missing) and you need to install it "manually". The way to find out (in Linux) when these programs don't launch or crash is to run them under the terminal (Applications - Accessories - Terminal).

So open your terminal and type: labyrinth
You will most likely get an error message telling you what went wrong.

so in that same terminal window (if the error message tells you that python-numeric is not found) just type:
sudo aptitude install python-numeric

and you should be set!

ref: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/labyrinth/+bug/327174

If this is not the problem, then tell us what is the error message you get.

Fred