At 07:35 PM 6/29/03 -0700, Andrea Sommers wrote:

>When doing bobbin lace, crochet, or knitting, how do you add pearls or other
>gems?  Are there instructions somewhere?  Thanks -

I don't bead my crochet or knitting, but IIRC, Mom strung the beads on her
thread before starting to crochet her beaded purses.  That is, her crocheted
purses that had wooden beads on them.  I crocheted a few bags, but preferred
them plain.

(Purses don't have a pattern.  You just crochet a circle or oval until it's
big enough, then work straight until it's tall enough, then work a round of
filet mesh, then put on an edging and crochet two drawstrings.  I made mine
with bottoms the size and shape of a checkbook; Mom made hers round and put
a cardboard circle in.  Others just let the bags be roughly spherical.)

--------------

Been a while since I did beaded tatting, but there are at least three methods.

One is to string the beads on the thread, then push a bead up into the
stitch instead of making a picot.  Beads on the shuttle thread are a royal
pain, so this method is best reserved for work done entirely in chains and
mock rings.

Another is to join into the bead.  This could work in BL, since a "join" is
a sewing.

The third method that I remember offhand is to make a picot a little longer
than the hole in the bead, then slide a bead onto it just before joining
into the picot.  IRRC, BL never sews into a picot -- but I don't see any
reason one couldn't.  And some of your sewing tools would make it easier to
pull the picot through a bead!

And then there's the old standby:  finish the work, then sew the beads on.
This would work best with applique', since the fabric under the lace gives
you a place to hide the sewing thread.

----
Just remembered a hint for beaded knitting that I read somewhere:  a bead
slid up between stitches just naturally lies on the purl side of the work,
so you have to purl the stitch before and after the bead.  The equivalent of
the picot method would be to slide the bead onto a stitch before knitting
it; I can't think of any equivalent to the join-into-the-bead method.

--
Joy Beeson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]