In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
> has a cookbook
>from The Piddle Valley?
>  It includes recipes such as, Piddle Pork, Middle Tything Brawn, Piddle
>Potage, and Southcombe Syllabub.

Being presently addicted to a crossword puzzle book, at the moment I am
frequently leafing through my dictionaries... and came across the actual
meaning of the word "piddle".  "To piddle" is "to trifle" - so a
cookbook is most appropriate!  (Remembering the far off days pre-
marriage when I shared a flat - and we had parties because they were a
good excuse for making a trifle!)  Of course, the "trifle" in this sense
is more in the meaning of trivial meddling than the food, but never
mind.
--
Jane Partridge