The local guide was determined to drag me down this very steep slope to see
the glacier.  He was making sure of his baksheesh. My son protested that he
had been taken an easier way two years ago, but nobody listened.  I don't
like slippery slopes, but I had never been to a glacier before.  The guide
grabbed my arm and guided each footstep, telling me to put my foot on a rock
each time, rather than the dusty earth.  I was frightened not only of
falling and injuring myself, but also for my poor daughter who would have to
pay 6,000 dollars for a rescue helicopter.   When we finally reached the
glacier, it was not white and glistening as at the mountain source, here it
was a dirty black colour.  The local guide grabbed a piece of ice that
melted in his hand, just to prove it.  Then we had to climb up again, and I
insisted on a rest every few yards, for I was getting out of breath.  We
returned to the cafe and had the usual chicken for lunch on a table outside.

Our final destination was further up the Karimabad valley, way up the
mountain to a most wonderful place at 9,000 feet, called The Eagle's Nest.
The road became rougher and rockier and it was essential to brace oneself as
the jeep lurched up the bends.  Here were the potato terraces, carved out
like a grid so that each set of potato plants could be irrigated.  They
tasted delicious, as do all potatoes grown at altitude.

The Guest-house at the Eagle's Nest is a famous place from which you can see
the sun-rise on five surrounding mountain peaks.  Although we woke at four
on the first morning it was misty, but on the second day I was able to see
the sun gradually turning all the white mountain peaks pink, an
unforgettable sight. I decided to have a day's rest  and sit out looking at
the valley below, with our last hotel over 2,000 feet way down below.  A
shop-keeper opened up his little shop for us.  I saw two lovely
head-dresses, one modern Afghan, beaded, the other an older one with little
bells on.  I decided to buy them both, to the amazement of the shop-man, who
told us we were his first customers this year (May).
I am sure he was sincere, for he gave us both a gift on departure, mine a
pretty necklace.

We had one trip up the Karakoram Highway as far as we could go, for the
Chinese border was closed because of SAARS.  Our journey back to Islamabad
took two days. The Karakoram Highway,  which is called the eighth wonder of
the world, took 12 years to construct through the mountains.  Parts were
still blocked by landslides, and we waited for over an hour each time while
they cleared with bull-dozers.
I thought I would be grateful to get down to the plains with dead straight
roads, but the dust and heat were unbearable. I missed my lovely mountains.

Angela Thompson
unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED]