All six years of girls wore navy skirts, either pleated or flared, white
shirt type blouses with navy blue/bottle green striped ties and bottle green
blazers.  Bought cardigans and jerseys were of a brighter, almost emerald green.
Hand knit ones tended to be bottle green.  The boys wore grey trousers.  We all
wore navy blye gaberdines - on top of our blazers.  As we had to change
buildings we tended to grab bags and coats and rely on our blazers for warmth
outdoor in winter.  Summer "uniform" was any cotton summer skirt, white blouse and
tie.  Skirts had to be worn at a "respectable" length decided by the teacher
who was "advisor" to all the girls.  Emphasis was on looking neat and tidy
rather than on precise skirt length etc.

We were certainly streamed.  The first two years were divided into 6 classes,
A to E and we had all lessons as a class.  At his point boys and girls were
in separate classes.  When we entered third year we were streamed by subject so
English classes were 3E1-6, maths classes 3M1-6 and so on.  These were not
writ in stone and so we could move up or down in any subject.   And contrary to
popular perception the top maths class was all girls, the only single sex
academic class I was in.

Patricia in Wales

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]