The list that Jane gave, wouldn't have appeared in the UK in 1949. There
just wasn't that kind of stuff available. Most things were rationed during
and after the war beginning in 1940, including household linen and baby
clothes. Coupons had to be presented and handed over when buying clothing,
and the nation donated sufficient clothing coupons for the queen to get her
wedding dress even as late as 1947. When coules married, they saved up food
rations to make a small plain cake, and put a cardboard cutou of an iced
cake over the top of it for the traditional photo of cutting the cake (if
they had any photos taken).

If not actually 'on ration', many items were, in fact, rationed because they
were in such short supply. In 1941 the "utility" mark was introduced, which
was put on very basic clothing and household linen items to show they met a
minimum standard. That was all that was available unless you culd find
anything illegally available on the "black market". I found a pair of
unopened "utility" sheets in my parent's house after my father died in 1992.
They were o surprisingly good quality, but then they were designed to last.

Sweet rationing was lifted in 1949 but reintroduced four months later
because the demand outstripped the supply of sugar, and it wasn't lifted
finally until 1953. Rationing only ended completely when the last item,
meat, was removed from it in 1954.

A readable account of rationing in the UK is on this web site:

http://www.homesweethomefront.co.uk/web_pages/hshf_rationing_pg.htm

Jean in Poole

unsubscribe lace-chat [EMAIL PROTECTED] For help, write to [EMAIL PROTECTED]