At 10:40 AM 8/30/03 +1000, Elizabeth Ligeti wrote:

>(Peck - an old English measurement - can't remember how
>much!).

A quarter of a bushel.

Oddly, there are *eight" dry quarts in a peck.

Looked it up, and found that the British bushel was eight British gallons.
That makes a quart a quarter of a dry gallon -- apparently the U.S. dropped
the gallon, but kept the quarter-gallon.

The Rubber Bible didn't say anything about "dry" in the footnote about
British bushels, only that the U.S. bushel is 0.96895 British bushel.  And
our dry quarts and pints are closer to British pints and quarts than to our
fluid pints and quarts:
U.S. fluid quart = 0.946333 liter;
U.S. dry quart = 1.101198 liter;
British quart = 1.13650 liter.

On topic:  I found the page of volume measures easily, because it's marked
with a strip of cloth stitch with two foot-edges, and the cut threads
gathered into a tassel.   I made it with a Lacis kit, way back when they
weren't all that bad.

(Rubber Bible =  Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, published by the
Chemical Rubber Company.)

--
Joy Beeson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]