I realize that this was last discussed back in July and I'm several months behind on chat, but I didn't see the answer to this one that I know.

Apparently, says my friend and fellow lacemaker Sue the Linguist, dove as the past tense of dive is a back-formation in American English. It sounds like something that ought to get one of those German style (Anglo-Saxon) vowel changing past tenses, so we made it have one. This even though it always used to be a regular verb until then. When that back formation takes over England, all hope will be lost! :)

Mind you, I can't think what other irregular verb the American past tense of dive is trying to copy. Weave/wove comes closest, though live/love is interesting to thing about.
Mind you