I have to be honest, I've never heard of the Gatineaus, but then I don't
suppose a lot of people had heard of Poole or Dorset until four of us joined
Arachne. I've heard of Ottawa.

The one time I cried was when I'd struggled in to work through knee high
snow - it had taken me two hours instead of half an hour. When I got there
they decided we'd all have to be sent home. We set out for home at 11 am,
and I got home at 2 pm. The phone lines were down. DH was supposed to be
bringing fish and chips in for dinner that night because I said I wasn't
going to cook. He finally arrived with them cold at 10 pm - it was my
birthday, and I'd spent virtually the whole day alone.

But I can sympathise, having lived through a power cut that lasted three
days. We were just lumped together as the south west of England, and when
'most people' had had their power restored, we hadn't. It was like nobody
cared.

I don't think I'd have emptied the freezer and refrigerator into a garbage
bag. I kept the freezer covered with a blanket, and didn't open it for 24
hours, in case the power came on. Stuff in the refrigerator that wouldn't
keep, I cooked if it could be cooked (we had a calor gas cooker as our main
cooking method anyway) to keep it a bit longer, and then after the 24 hours
was up, I cooked quite a lot of what had thawed from the freezer. Some we
ate, and some was OK to put back in the freezer cooked when the power came
back on. I reckon I lost about half the freezer contents.

Last Friday morning, the power in my area of Poole was cut at 7.45 am. About
1,000 households were without power and some of us lost our phone lines too.
I phoned the electricity company on my mobile, and was told the power should
be back on by 11 am. I then phoned the local radio station, but they didn't
announce it. They finally mentioned it in a local news bulletin at 11 am,
when we'd all had power restored telling us that we'd been without power for
three hours - we already knew that.

I had to go to my doctor's surgery, and they were resorting to paper
records. Instead of looking up on the computer what drugs I already take, it
was quicker for me to tell the doctor what drugs I have. Normally when he
entered the prescription for the drug I needed this time, it would have
flagged it if it would react with anything I was already on. Instead he had
to get out a thicker book and look it up in there.

There are three shops near the surgery - a pharmacy, a supermarket and a pet
superstore. The pharmacy was open, but the other two weren't because their
tills weren't working, although they could crank the doors open by hand. The
pharmacy was writing down what money they took and what it was for as they
have a much smaller throughput of stock and money than the other two shops.
The pharmacist was finding drugs by feel and memory because the dispensary
is in a bit at the back with no windows (they hadn't got a torch until a
customer lent them one from his car). She said the prescription I needed was
available in capsule or tablet, and as she'd found the tablets first, that
was what I was going to get. She was glad the doctor had already checked on
compatibility with other drugs, because she hadn't been able to find her
book as she hadn't used it for a few years.

Fortunately we haven'yt yet got to the point where we've thrown all the
paper away and rely on technology totally.

Jean in Poole