Joyce wrote:

Probably the Americans would, too -- but we have no trains at all, so the
British version looks pretty good.

That might be true of where you are in Indiana but my favorite mode of
transport into the city of Chicago is by train.  The express takes about
45 minutes and the stopping trains about 1- 1/2 hours, plenty of time to
knit, tat or read.  I have taken train rides all over the continent but
so far not done a longer ride in the States, mainly because it is
cheaper to fly and takes less time, plus there is more chance of
derailments on the long haul ones by the sound of all the accidents we
hear about.  Our trains are on time, sometimes even early, and now that
smoking is not allowed are a good deal cleaner than they used to be.
Our trains have upper seats that the children (and businessmen) like to
ride on on either side of the lower compartment.  Trains are very common
in this part of Illinois and I can even hear the whistle of one now as
we live about 1/2 mile from the tracks.
Janice

P.S.  My DH just rode the Orient Express from Vienna to Paris.  He
attempted to get the bunk bed down just as the attendant knocked on the
door.  He told DH to put all his stuff back in his suitcase and step
into the hall whilst he made the bed.  DH had to stand in the passageway
only in his pj bottoms.  On the next trip he waited for the knock on the
door before getting ready for bed. ;-)