On Saturday, October 25, 2003, at 07:18 PM, David Collyer wrote:

Dear Friends,
I have been asked by my cousin to see if any of my "bank of wisdom and knowledge" can help with her problem.

She recently ordered some old Wills from the UK Public Records Office and paid for them with her credit card online. She got the Wills OK, but having now received her Bank statement she finds that she has been charged twice!! She has duly emailed the PRO letting them know etc. But they have repeatedly ignored her emails. What she wants to know is how to take this matter further, and who she should threaten them with - if you get my drift.

Hello David

Providing she's absolutely sure she's paid twice, and there's no credit showing on the next bank statement, and that she didn't order twice and get two copies of each will, then she is entitled to her money back.

Having said that, mistakes do happen but the PRO should acknowledge her emails and get it sorted out. If it was me, living here in England I'd do the following:

1, Put the complaint in writing and send it by snail mail. If no reply within a couple of weeks send it again and perhaps threaten with legal action through the small claims court.

2, Send a copy of the letter to Trading Standards. Trading Standards offices are subsiduries of the County Council or District Council. PRO Kew comes under Surrey County Council.

3, Contact the credit card company. For transactions over 100GBP the credit card company are equally liable along with the customer, for any discrepancies. Whilst a few Wills probably didn't cost 100 pounds I'm sure they would want to know about things that go wrong and aren't put right.

4, I think there could also be an issue with the bank that handles the on-line transactions, maybe the credit card company would be able to help with this too.

Let me know how things go
Brenda

http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/paternoster/
Supporting the [EMAIL PROTECTED] campaign