> I returned home last evening, having had my knee replacement operation on
> Thursday last week to over a hundred emails in lace and lace-chat....
>
> Jean in Poole

I hope you've recovered by now.  Were you in Poole General?  My mother had a
couple of operations there a few years ago, and it seemed a good hospital.
But she's just told me that her elderly next door neighbour is in there at
the moment, and he can't feed himself.  So his daughter has to go up to
Poole every day from Weymouth to feed him - it seems the nurses at the
hospital don't do it.  My mother is appalled - she was a nurse herself.

I joke that the next time I need to go to A&E I'll get on a train and go
down to Dorset - to Poole or Dorchester hospitals.  I'd still get seen
sooner there than I would if I went to my local hospital!  One of the
students in my class (I'm an IT trainer) was taken ill last week and went to
the Whitechapel Hospital.  Even though he was lying on the floor shivering
and being sick (there were no chairs), after 5 hours he still hadn't been
seen.   He gave up and travelled back home to Essex to his local hospital,
where he was found to have malaria.  We have no post in London,
overstretched hospitals, and our public transport is falling apart - why do
I live here?  <g>  Perhaps I should go back and live in Dorset!

Regards,
Annette in London