Hmmm...Tamara maybe they are cardboard in your state but in Minnesota they
are plastic and "prefered" to the plates these days. I have permanently
disabled people in the family (besides myself) and we all have what are
called "permanent disability cards" which hang from the mirror. They are not
cardboard but a heavy plastic and good for 5 years. The Temporary disability
card is red not blue and is only good for 6 month periods. They prefer the
cards here since people often have multiple cars or are being chauffeured by
someone who doesn't have disabled plates. Many of my family members have
sight disabilities and won't ever be able to get "permanent plates" for cars
they can't drive. My 100 year old grandfather (who moves in the speed of
"ultra slow" only LOL) has 3 different cards. My aunt has one (and then one
of her own LOL...personally I think that is silly) By the way, she can't
drive and neither can my father (he is married to her) so that is doubly
silly. 2 for my mother (she has 2 cars) since SHE usually drives him. They
gave her two when she complained that she couldn't remember to switch the
card from car to car. (actually if you knew my mother you would understand)
She is also losing her sight. (she is basically blind in one eye already) So
eventually she may just get her own (and I will have to drive her around) I
have my own but it stays in my car unless my son is taking me somewhere then
he lets me bring it and hang it on his mirror. He HATES using the
handicapped spot but he is becoming much more protective of me now that he
is grown and married. I would go nuts if I had to get a card every 3 years.
It is really a pain in the rear to have to go to the DMV downtown St Paul
(who doesn't even have handicapped parking by the way) to get your
handicapped card.

Cearbhael