Please note that in Canada, this only applies in the West, where the cities are relatively new. In the East, where the cities date back to the 1600s and 1700s, there are no neat grids. Usually the first address on each street is number 1 and go up to whatever the number of houses/buildings on the street. But some cities are a little more helpful. In those cities, the numbers on the first block are 1 to 99 at the most. The second block numbers will start with 100, the third block with 200, etc. However, as noted below, even numbers are always on 1 side of the street and odd numbers on the other. In my case it's very simple. I live at number 1 and there is no other building on the street. There is a parking lot facing the building. If ever it is built upon, the building will be number 2.