Hi All,  This has turned into an interesting thread.  Thanks Annette for the
info. on numbering buildings in London.  Very curious <G>.  My brother once
lived at 24-1/2 on some street.  That was done instead of adding an "a".
There used to be halves in Brattleboro too, before 911.

I agree about the street names.  I think when they renamed here the roads
were not supposed to be named after a living person.  And the historical
society helped with suggestions so most of the names have some connection
with the history of the road.  Though I don't think any names have anything
to do with "hoors" <VBG>.

My parents moved to Oregon 12 years ago and lived on Kleinschmidt Place.
The roads in their neighborhood were named after the people who invested in
the development.  My brother also lives there and he was on Elizabeth
Street.  I think the roads in his neighborhood were named after the
children/spouses of the developers.  In the downtown area of Corvallis,
Oregon the N/S roads are numbered and the E/W roads are named after the
Presidents of the US.  That's a good way to learn your Presidents <G>.  I
still can't remember the order.

I like the names with some history.  Many of the roads in Brattleboro are
named for their history.  School Street, Canal Street and then there's
Church Street.  I'm pretty sure that was named for the (Frank?) Church
Company who made toilet seats - "The best seat in the house".  There is also
Sunset Lake Road which I think is a very pretty name.  And Linden Street
where the Linden trees grow.

Anyway, time to get back to work.  We buy our Thanksgiving dinner from a
local restaurant.  DH goes to pick it up and we eat at home with four other
people tomorrow.  Still leaves me quite a bit of cleaning and preparation
but I'm SO grateful I don't have to cook the whole meal!

Jane in Vermont, USA on Frost Place