Dear Lacemakers, and Brenda,

> > On 4 Dec 2003, at 04:13, Tamara P. Duvall wrote:
> > The feast of St Nicholas is on Dec 6th in *Roman* Catholic church,
> >  but on the 5th in the *Orthodox* one...
> >
> Probably something to do with the Orthodox church recognising the
> Gregorian calendar later than the Catholic church.
>
> Brenda

The calendar shift moved things on several days - for example, I think that
may be why Christmas is no longer at the year's end.

The difference between 5th and 6th for a feast day is probably more to do
with when you count the day as starting.  According to an older system,
perhaps based on the Jewish method, the day runs from Sunset to Sunset.
Roman Catholic missals still reflect this, (so I've heard), by having
services for "The Eve of the Feast", and "The Morning of the Feast":
Christmas, for example.

Linda Walton,
(in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, U.K.).