On Saturday, Dec 20, 2003, at 20:02 US/Eastern, Francesca Delluna (Melissa) wrote:

I live in Kentucky, and just let me say, we have some weird laws here. One that is still on the books is that No person is allowed to walk through downtown with an ice cream cone in their back pocket.

I'm sure that's a serious problem and all...

Whenever I hear about strange laws like that, as soon as I stop snorting with laughter, I always wonder how they came into being... Laws are, always, being passed to "take care" of an existing situation, and the more peculiar they are, the more likely it is that the situation occured only once or twice, but annoyed a sizeable segment of the population.

So, who was it that caused the "no ice cream cone in the back pocket" law? Or the "no giraffe tied to a lampost" law? Or any other of those absolutely absurd laws -- you'd think they'd have better things to do than get together, debate, and pass such a thing? Whom, specifically, did they intend to "nail"? How had his (hers?) action disrupted the peaceful/boring daily life of what community, to the extent of the community retaliating with a *law* (never again, buddy)? Just what happened???

I bet there are wonderful stories behind every one of those laws... :) I find it quite unsatisfactory to read the "letter" but not the background.

-----
Tamara P Duvall
Lexington, Virginia,  USA
Formerly of Warsaw, Poland