Since many are skeptical as to the actual existence of ghosts, I had no idea
that the science of ghost behavior was so well-known. Whether a ghost would
walk through a wall or open a fire door might depend on the mood of the ghost at
the moment, mighten it? I am not sure that I feel that a ghost would not open
a door that hadn't existed during its life time. Don't ghosts sometimes
frequent buildings built in the same location of other buildings they once
frequented? The question of whether ghosts can learn to operate a panic bar is one I
have never seen addressed, but I am not a student of paranormal psychology.
Perhaps if a ghost were haunting someone and saw them use the panic bar, the
ghost could pick up the knack from that. We have a squirrel feeder. If one
squirrel figures out the feeder the others all copy what he is doing.
That Australian tourists saw such a figure in the costume in question
certainly provides a non-supernatural explanation for the apparition. However, the
fact that the costume is one more likely to be associated with Christopher Wren
is confusing. Does Hampton Court typically host events where people dress up
like Christopher Wren? Does the inappropriateness of the era of the costume
again throw us into the supernatural explanation. And what is the supernatural
explanation of why Christopher Wren would haunt Hampton Court? Did he forget his
slide rule there?
I was happy to see the Hampton Court phenomenom prompted a review of other
notable hauntings of the place, included among them that of my distant relative
Catherine Howard. Her cousin Ann Bolyn is a well-known haunter as well. I
always like to take any opportunity to remind people that in my family our ability
to make you miserable doesn't necessarily end with death.
Devon