It hadn't occurred to me to use vinegar, which is acid, because the products
sold for getting rid of it are alkaline.

We can't have a magnetic thingy round our incoming water pipe because the
water enters the bungalow through the bathroom floor, which is concrete, and
there's no electricity in the bathroom to make it work. The pipe goes back
into the floor and emerges three times again in the bathroom for the toilet
cistern, the sink and the bath, through the airing cupboard floor and up to
the cold water tank, and the kitchen floor to the kitchen sink.

Jean in Poole