I am amazed that the book is doing so well!!  I'd like to
get a copy  - just to encourage the author, if nothing else!

When I was a child, my mother seemed to believe that the use
of good grammar and proper punctuation were clear signs of
"good breeding" (her words, not mine!).  So I grew up in a
"Zero Tolerance" household.  I admit that by virtue of my
age, not my economic status, I went to schools where
virtually all of the students shared a common ethnic
background (which is to say, white, Anglo-Saxon, and
for-the-most-part, protestant).  But, as I learned later in
life, "You are what you were when..."  (Essentially, your
values are formed for you at age 10, re-evaluated by you and
solidified at age 20)...  I became a dyed-in-the-wool member
of the language police!

Then, as a young, ~fairly~ fresh-out-of-college
professional, I began to work with people who were deaf.
Hmmm...  the concept of "total communication" sank in
quickly.  Doesn't matter how you say it, as long as the
other person understands what you're trying to day (I was
working with sign language, obviously, where my clients were
usually more fluent than I!).  So the chink in the armor had
been made.

It was only after I began to work with a more diverse
population that I realized what was happening in our
schools - and in our country - and evidently to all
English-speaking countries...  Not everyone is brought up
with the same standards of speech and composition.  The fact
is, when you are living in desperate conditions and unable
to adequately feed and clothe your family, you aren't quite
so concerned about how they phrase their sentence when they
cry that they're cold or hungry or sick.  That's how it was
for decades with the critically poor in our country.  Things
have improved a great deal for the poorest of the poor...
not many people starve unless they, or their caregivers,
refuse to accept the help offered.  But that doesn't mean
that their history has changed.  They were taught to speak
by the people who raised them.  And then they went to public
schools (public in the US means government-supported) where
they were thrown in with the "the rest of us".  Can you
imagine how that must have seemed?  No wonder they quickly
developed a cultural language of their own, (which they
continue to change as soon as it becomes "mainstream") and
no wonder the various ethnicities take pride in their
differences!  And so, there is now a "tolerance" for the
differences in the schools.  There HAS to be - or no
teaching would occur at ALL - not because the teachers
weren't good enough, but because the students wouldn't be
receptive.

So the outcome is that our institutions of higher learning
are cranking our graduates who can't speak or write decently
to save their lives, but they're still securing lucrative
jobs, positions of power and authority (George W. Bush comes
to mind...)...

But some of us still value the beauty of the "well turned
phrase", and for those who aspire to communicate
meaningfully with us, the book,  "Eats shoots and leaves -
The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation", will be very
useful!  And we die-hard language police can simply sigh
blissfully as we take it to bed with us at night!

Clay, hopping gracefully off my soap-box and returning to
lurkdom.