On Feb 19, 2004, at 23:30, Joy Beeson wrote:

At 03:06 PM 2/19/04 -0700, Vasna Zago wrote:

Excuse me? It's a candle SNUFFER! :->

Dollars to doughnuts it's a candle EXTINGUISHER.

A candle snuffer is a pair of scissors with a box welded to one blade to
catch the snuff, and it's been out of style ever since the invention of the
self-snuffing braided wick.

Times change of course, as does language usage, but... 30+ yrs ago, I received -- as wedding gift -- a sterling silver "candle *snuffer*". That's what I was told it was, and that's what it said on the box housing it (fortunately, since I had never seen one of those before; we blew on our candles back in Poland <g>). And *all* it was was a little "hood" attached to a very long handle... All very graceful (the handle has a lovely curve to it), but no scissors (not even with one "squared" blade), much less a box welded to any part of it... I'd seen such *since*, but, to me, a "candle snuffer" will -- forever - remain just that...

I had a hard time keeping a straight face when I saw the box... It reminded me of my late teens, when "my crowd" was trying to come up with ideas for the "most idiotic invention of the century"; one of those was "an electric candle snuffer"... :)

----- Tamara P Duvall Lexington, Virginia, USA Formerly of Warsaw, Poland http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd/