Regarding 2yr olds being unable to differentiate between similar consonants if
they haven't been regularly exposed to them when younger. If I remember
correctly this came from a piece of Canadian research there is a native
language which uses consonants (sounds) not used in English, adults cannot
differentiate between the sounds but children up to the age of 18 months can.
The same tv series that showed the above experiment also showed the theory
that children will automatically impose order on language - i.e. will make
rules - grammar is basically only a description of  those rules from my
understanding. The sign languages used by the deaf, as I understand it, have
their own grammar. The imposition of order changes a 'language' from a pidgin
to a creole.
With accents it can be quite interesting - one student friend of mine had a
mild accent - Liverpudlean - but when he spoke French the accent was as broad
as can be and very funny.
Regarding the various spelling of surnames my mother has researched the family
history. Tracing her maiden name, Limon, back eventually couldn't find any
ancestors until she found them under Lammiman. The explanation she was given
at a class was that at that time the majority of people were illiterate so the
local priest spelt the phonetically from the parishioner's pronounciation.
Regarding 'the exception proves the rule' in science when testing a
hypothesis, experiments are designed with the intention of disproving the
hypothesis in that way you are testing the theory. Of course the other phrase
that uses 'prove' in meaning of test is 'the proof of the pudding is in the
eating'.

Peter