Well, I'm sad, as Lace hasn't made it to my house yet :-(  I'm dying to
see these fans Mum keeps referring to on the cover.

Re:  the detours of mail:  I think I remember hearing somewhere that
bulk mail often goes off shore to be mailed, hence the interesting
postmarks.  I have a vague notion from 11+ years ago, when I worked at
the Australian Road Research Board library, that there was a US magazine
we received that was printed off shore (I can still tell you where to
find an Australian Standard in the library, but can't remember which
title I'm talking about - computer one maybe), so it would make sense
that it would be mailed from off shore.  Bulk mail is the last to be
dispatched, as it's the cheapest rate, from what I understand.

One thing I do find interesting is my monthly magazine from the
Australian Library and Information Association sometimes comes by sea
mail and sometimes by Airmail - depending on whether or not someone can
remember to put an air mail sticker on it.  I don't think I've ever
noticed it come via an off shore source, but it did once have a customs
inspection sticker or some such official sticker on it - and it's mailed
in a clear plastic bag :-)

Cheers,
Helen Bell,  Aussie living in Denver