When writing an essay on flat-fell seams, I said:
"any error in width will be automatically compensated for."

Grammatically, I've got my choice of underlining "automatically",  saying
"any error in width will automatically be compensated for," or saying
"any error in width will be compensated for automatically."

Plainly, this is the same "error" as "To boldly go" -- but what is it that
has been split?

Pedantically,
--
Joy Beeson